Friday, July 24, 2009

good intentions

...I fully intended to write another post on our vacation. But, Rhett sprained his ankle last night at baseball practice (I should mention, he wasn't actually practicing baseball when it happened. They were taking pictures and he was horsing around with the other boys on a wooden plank and he fell off one of the planks and twisted his ankle) and we had to go to the doctor today (just in case).



I also have been consumed by thoughts of cupcakes.



Let me explain:



On the way to Washington D.C., the flight was very full. And we happened to be the last people to board. (Darn internet and pre-printed boarding passes). Because a very nice man moved from his comfy aisle seat in the very front of the plane (where there is a little more leg room and not the threat of someone reclining their seat into your knees) to a middle, yes middle, seat somewhere aisles back, I did get a seat by Noah and near Rhett. Seth, however, was farther back and sat by someone who had the flu and his wife. Of course.



However, these people were very nice. The wife let Seth have the window seat and she sat by her sick husband and then she basically talked to him for a lot of the flight. In that time, she mentioned that her daughter and son-in-law opened up a business in Beverly Hills, CA. A cupcake business. Named Sprinkles.



Sprinkles!



I have read about Sprinkles in Instyle Magazine so I knew they must be good. ;)



Anyway, I was excited because I was already in the mood for cupcakes. I had written down a couple of cupcake bakeries in DC that I wanted to go to.



Unfortunately, we did not get to go to them. Time and red line metro delays were a big part of that reason.



Fast forward (I know, this is turning into a long story, sorry) to today. I decided to try to bake Red Velvet Cupcakes because a) in all my 31 years, I have never tried Red Velvet anything and b) I was looking up cupcake sites online and red velvet just looks wonderfully tasty.



So, after the doctor, I dragged my poor son who doesn't want to walk at all and Noah to the grocery store so I could get some needed bake items.



I found a recipe from an interesting blog that combines the cupcake recipe from Magnolia Bakery in NYC and the frosting recipe from Sprinkles.



And...I'll have to let you know how they taste. I am waiting for them to cool and then I am going to frost them. After a BLT sandwich (tomatoes are also on my mind a lot), we are going to indulge ourselves. I have a feeling we are going to like them.

3 comments:

Abbey said...

I can't wait for the recipe. They sound divine and I hope they are!

Krista said...

Yum, cupcakes.

And I also have tomatoes on the mind. And all over my counter. And piled in my fridge. And running wild all over my yard.

We planted way too many tomato plants.

H Noble said...

Sounds yummy! Justin has had Sprinkles cupcakes in Dallas and said they really are that good.