Wednesday, October 25, 2006

just say no

...This week is Red Ribbon Week for schools and as you all probably know, students wear silly things like slippers to school to promote Drug-free awareness. I have no problem with this. My problem is...have you ever tried to talk to a 5-year-old about how to stay away from drugs? If not, here is how the conversation would go:

the mom (on Monday): So, it is Red Ribbon Week. Do you know what the red ribbons are for?
the son: Yes. (rolling his eyes) It is for you to wear.
the mom: But do you know why?
the son: ummm
the mom: This week is all about teaching you about drugs. There are some really bad drugs out there that you need to stay away from and...
the son: What's a drug?
the mom: Well, you know when a doctor gives you drugs when you are sick? It is medicine that makes you feel better. But some drugs are not meant to be taken because they make you even sicker. If anyone besides a doctor offers you drugs, do not take them because they can make you sick.
the son: Okay, okay.
the mom: Do you understand?
the son: Yes! Do not take drugs from anyone, especially doctors.
the mom (knowing this conversation is doomed): No, you can take drugs from doctors. They know what they are doing.
the son: No! If they offer you drugs, it can make you sick.
the mom (frustration level rising): Not doctors! They give you medicine to help you feel better. But if one of your classmates or another kid from your school or even a stranger tries to give you drugs, then you should say "no" and walk away.
the son: Why?
the mom (rising even higher): I just told you why! Drugs are bad. They are not meant to be taken for fun.
the son (getting upset too): Fine!
the mom (trying to calm down): So, did you talk about drugs today at school?
the son: No.
the mom: They didn't try to explain why they gave you the ribbon?
the son: No. They just gave it to me. I don't know why.
the mom (giving up): Eat your dinner.

I need one of those pamplets that tell you how to talk to your child about drugs. Because after that conversation, all I could imagine is that commercial where they cracked an egg, which was your brain, and fried it. That is how I felt. So, while I commend schools for helping children learn about drugs, they need to send home notes to tell what they talked about that day. Wouldn't that make life easier for everyone?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. I see your frustration. This is coming from the teacher who completely forgot to hand out her red ribbons this week. Our school doesn't do anything for Red Ribbon Week, but I know Monahans sure did - dress up days, etc. I'll have to ask my mom what she says to her kindergarteners regarding this.

Christy

Anonymous said...

I doesn't get much better for second graders--expecially when they tell you their parents (uncle, etc.) take drugs. Also, how do you tell a 7 year old not to get in the car with someone who is drinking--when that is their parent? You did great--you just have to tell them what you think they are ready to understand. If they don't at first, they will. Just keep telling him. Sandy

JNoble said...

I know it is not a funny situation and I know you were really frustrated at the conversation, but I was laughing heartly at your expense. I love it when you share your conversations!

Justin

H Noble said...

That has got to be so frustrating. At least you tried to talk to him, which is more than I think a lot of parents do. Besides, I firmly believe that your parents' example of living is stronger that words sometimes. You guys are doing a great job!
H

Abbey said...

Aims, I agree with Justin. While it's not funny to be in the conversation it is really funny to read about it! We haven't done much explaining to our kids about drugs either. I usually touch on it and wait till our health/safety unit comes.

Krista said...

I can just imagine me having an identical conversation with my 5-year-old next year...I like what Holly said, though, that the way you and Seth live is the best example.

Nancy said...

I taught kindergarten before I retired and believe me the only thing worse than trying to explain this to one kid is explaining it to 25 kids. I had a cartoon type video with a book that I used. (It comes from the red ribbon people.) It still was over their heads (mostly)! I had a few that talked openly about mom and dad using drugs and they even named the kinds of drugs. So Sad!