Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Remembering

...Today is National Day of Remembrance for pregnancy and infant loss. This includes miscarriage and still birth. I didn't know this until a few minutes ago but feel I need to blog about it.

I have come along way since my miscarriage. I remember thinking, when it happened, that I would never get over the heartbreak, that I would never feel the same. I kept a journal for weeks following first, because I went through a period where I couldn't sleep then because it was a tool for me to heal. And I remember writing one day that it was a good day. A "normal" day. Which for me meant that I got through that day without the terrible sadness in my heart. This day it just lifted. I am thankful for that time in my life though, because I started drawing again and writing poetry. Things I used to do but stopped for one reason or another. But these are things I love.

I do think about the baby I lost every once in awhile. I wonder things and allow myself to be sad at times. But I realize how lucky I am too.

For my beautiful friends that have gone through this, know today that I will be saying an extra prayer for you and giving you {hugs}. For my beautiful friends that are going through infertility, know that I honor you today too.

2 comments:

Krista said...

I think it's wonderful that there is a day to commemorate those losses (also obviously I wish no one had the losses to begin with). I remember that Gran told me once that Grandma Shaffer had a stillbirth (or possibly a miscarriage) but that no one ever talked about it; Gran didn't even know until Grandma S died and she found a journal about it. (I hope I have all those facts right. That's the gist of it.) It must have been terrible to not be free to acknowledge that kind of loss.

It sounds like you've reached a place of peace about your loss, and I'm glad for that. Wishing peace to everyone else who mourns today.

H Noble said...

Praying for you today. Thank you for blogging about it, for sharing your feelings and for telling us about this day we didn't know about.