Monday, October 12, 2009

wishes

The other night I was wishing, wishing that Noah hadn't gotten sick like his brother, exactly one week later, on a Saturday, and that led me to thinking about how I really like wishing.

As a child, I made many wishes.  I would wait for an apppropriate time of course--the first star of the night sky, blowing out the birthday candles but later realized that just wasn't enough.  So I found out that if an eyelash falls out and you find it, you can make a wish and then blow your eyelash into the wind.  Blowing dandelions was another good time to make a wish.  Then, I admit, I got a little carried away.  If I saw 11:11 on the clock, I would make a wish.  If our car drove over a bridge at the exact time a train went under it, it was wishing time.  If I was eating a bag of peanut M&Ms and came across an M&M without the peanut inside, I would make a wish.  As you can see, I did make it a little hard for me to find opportunities to wish.  I knew it couldn't be very easy; that I had to work for it.  (Imagine my disappointment when I looked at the clock at 11:12, or after begging inside my head for Mom to drive faster, we just missed the train or eating a whole bag of peanut M&Ms and they all had peanuts).

I wish that I could tell you that I stopped doing all of that when I grew up to be an adult.  I wish I could tell you I was a bit embarrassed that I didn't stop.  But those wishes weren't made on any of the criteria I have for wishing, so sorry, it just won't happen.  :)  Although now, I do most of my wishing at night when I can't sleep.

To me, wishes are hopes, little prayers and dreams.  Why would anyone want to stop that? I remember a year ago I read a book (and I think I talked about it on this blog) about a woman making three wishes that she hoped would come true in a year.  The thing about her wishes, though, was that she just didn't make them in the one-star night.  She thought about it, she wrote them down, she made a sculpture of what she wanted to see in her life and she even sought those things out. 

I thought about that as I was wishing the other night in my bed.  How do I go about making my wishes (or little prayers) become a reality?
  • I wish I could be the kind of mom that has breakfast ready for the kids before they get out of bed.
    • For that to happen, I am going to have to be the one to get out of bed earlier than I currently do. 
  • I wish I could get those Waste Management people to call me back and talk to me about a recycling contract for the school.
    • I am going to have to sound more authoritative, less like someone who is easily pushed around.
  • I wish I could sound more authoritative on the phone.
    • I am going to have to practice.  Look, I admit, Dad, that I am a mumbler.  I also am no good on the phone.  Or with confrontation.  Or having a take charge kind of attitude.  I am cursed with being too nice. :)  But maybe this will be good for me. 
Those are just small wishes I have.  There are others, deeper and more personal. But talking about these wishes has made me want to think about those others.  Maybe I should do what the author of that book did.  Maybe I will write it down or draw a picture--something to remind me what I am striving for in my life.

Do you still wish?  Do you have funny ways of wishing (or is it just me)?  What is something you wish for this week?  I hope that whatever you wish for, it becomes a reality for you.

5 comments:

Krista said...

I think those are good wishes. (I am bad on the phone too.) I think that as you (general you, not just you you) get older, your wishes become less about things you wish you HAD than about things you wish you could be.

aimee said...

Excellent point Krista. And so true.

Anonymous said...

Sorry that Noah is sick. Hope he gets to feeling better soon.

Those are good wishes. Jana has a bumper sticker that one of her friends gave her that says, "Nice women rarely make history." And I think that could be extended to mean that nice women rarely get what they want - waste recycling, etc. - by being nice. It is hard to be more authorative, but I also think that is something that gets easier with age.

Mom

H Noble said...

I'm so there with you on the authoritative bit. Sigh.

On the upside, you may also make wishes when the clock says 1:11, 2:22, 3:33, 4:44, 5:55. Just so you know. ;)

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Noah -- we too were wishing that Connor wouldn't get sick...and that didn't happen, but I am thankful for your input regarding what your dr. told you guys!

I wish, but I always seem to want my wishes now! Not a good quality. Eventually though, the big ones have come through for me!

Christy