Friday, May 09, 2008

Rhett and Jana

...The other day, when it was rainy outside, I let the boys watch The Iron Giant. They have watched this movie before but it had been awhile. I was doing other things and when it was over, Rhett came into the room where I was and his little face was all scrunched up and he had tears running down his cheeks.

Immediately, I knew what was wrong. I had also watched this movie before. I had seen the sad ending. I had cried many tears.

me: The movie was sad, wasn't it?
R (bursting into many more tears): Yes!
me: But you know it will be okay, right? I mean, at the very end it has signs of a happy ending.
R: I know. But, it...is....just so sad!
me (now crying): I know.

This was the first time Rhett has ever cried over a movie. And he has seen some sad movies (The Fox and the Hound, Bridge to Teribithia, to name two). But I think this time, he just got it. He got the why it would be sad. Wow. My kid is growing up.

****
I know it is be inspired Friday, so I want to take a moment and share something great about my sister, Jana. She is graduating graduate school tomorrow! She is a superhero, for sure. A single mom with 2 kids, a full-time job and after-school activities with the kids and then she studies and takes classes for a master's degree. Congratulations, Jana! You are amazing and we are so proud of you!!

****
And, finally, to all the moms out there--Happy Mother's Day! (Especially to our moms!)

3 comments:

Krista said...

Oh geez, just thinking about the ending of Iron Giant makes me tear up.

Happy Mother's Day to you too!

H Noble said...

Congratulations Jana!!! No part of your responsibilities is easy, and you've done well!

And Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers as well! :)
Holly

Cheryl Wray said...

Great post!! Some kids are more sensitive than others--my middle daughter FEELS everything! (It's been forever since I've seen iron Giant and I forgot how good it was!)

Happy Mother's Day to you too (a day late!).