Sunday, August 16, 2009

i am not superstitious, but

...Isn't it funny how people always start out that way? "I am not really superstitious, but I have to wear the same pair of socks to every game." Or "I don't believe in superstitions but every time a black cat crosses my path I think I am cursed."

Anyway, I want to be totally honest with you. I am superstitious--a little. I totally get scared when I break a mirror and I won't walk under a ladder or open an umbrella in my house. I throw salt over my shoulder when it is spilled (but only when I am cooking). I "knock on wood" to keep bad things from happening and I definitely believe things (good or bad) happen in threes.

Which leads me to this:

Ever since I have been married (11 years coming up this Saturday!), I have had a bit of bad luck concerning glass. If I break a piece of glass (whether it is a bowl or a cup), you better believe I will break 2 more things within the coming days or couple of weeks. It happens every time. I didn't notice it at first. No, I first thought I was just being unbelievable clumsy that month. But then it happened again. And again. Three things would always be broken. No matter how careful I was.

This is why I am down to one set of glasses (we have had 3). This is why I have had to replace a coffee maker and why I have no microwave plate in my microwave. Some things broken hurt more than others.

This one hurt a lot.

I have had this glass bottle with a sun on it for about as long as Rhett has been alive. In his first year, Seth and I took him to Ruidoso to visit my grandparents. He was about 6 months I believe. This was the last time we went to Ruidoso for a vacation. This is huge because growing up, my family and I would go every year. This is where my grandparents lived during the summer months and where Seth and I took our honeymoon. I know I would complain about going there but the truth is, it was really fun. We rode horses, played putt-putt, hiked and went to the horse races. We hung out with my cousins and ate at Casa Blanca.

When Seth and I came it was during July 4th holiday. Grandma would take care of Rhett while we went to a movie or to play miniature golf. We took Rhett to see the most amazing fire work show ever. (Rhett slept through it). We went shopping in a few shops and that is where I found the cutest glass bottle with a cork in the top. It didn't cost much but I loved the sun smiling at me. I had no idea what it was going to be used for but I knew I had to have it. Seth bought it for me and ever since, it had been in our kitchen, first for decoration, then later for holding dish washing soap. I would buy whatever color soap that would match our kitchen decor. Really.

I always knew it was dangerous to have that beside me while washing dishes. I am a klutz. I knock things over constantly. This bottle has been knocked over several times.

The last time must have been its final straw.

It was the 2nd thing broken in a week. The first was a bowl that came in a set of 8. They are lovely glass bowls that Seth's mother gave me when we went to visit. I dropped it trying to get all of them out of the car. I was a little frustrated. Now a set of 8 is a set of 7 and that just isn't right.

When I broke the sun bottle, I could do nothing but stare at it for a moment. I was actually really sad. Not for the glass bottle. But for what it represented.

When I threw it away, I placed it in a bag of recyclables. There were glass jars in there. When I threw the bag down on the floor out of disgust, I broke one of those glass salsa jars.

There was my 3rd.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you broke the bowl. What did Seth say about all the things you came home with? Sandy

H Noble said...

Sorry dear. Its frustrating when things are broken, whether they were sentimental or expensive or just fun pieces. We're on our second set of glasses now too.

Krista said...

Aw, I'm sorry about that. But I'm glad your third was just a salsa jar.