Tuesday, January 19, 2010

can you whittle away your dreams?

Tuesday is Cub Scout night.  We went to Rhett's den meeting where he was supposed to work on his whittling badge. 

{Did you know that Whittling has its own webpage?  It says:  Welcome to the World of Whittling.  A hobby for some, an obsession for others, a joy for all.  This is important for later.}

Before we leave the house, I turn to Noah and tell him to bring something to do because he is not to be working with knives. 

Crying and why not?s ensue.

Five minutes later, we are in the car headed toward our first stop for the night.  (I really thought I would be making a stop at the ER tonight too because visions of sliced fingers danced in my head.  Seriously, all I could picture was my brother's hand bleeding when he sliced his hand open with a knife one Christmas morning when we were younger.)  Just so you know,  we did not go to the ER.  Whew.

The poor Den Leader spends 40 minutes talking about knife safety before handing each boy a bar of Ivory soap.  My heart beat fast as I watched Rhett carve a shape out of soap.  I relaxed when I saw that he was being careful.  Then a boy across from him sliced his finger.

Oy.

Just a slight cut.  Nothing a band-aid couldn't fix.

By then I was done.  I was done listening to my youngest son's sighs beside me.  I never did let him near those things.  I was done holding my breath, waiting for an accident that never really happened, thank God.  I was just done.

Noah then gets a bright idea:  Mom, I know!  I can get a bar of soap and carve something out with a butter knife!  See that isn't sharp, right?

In the car, Rhett tells me his bright idea.  Remember when I told you to remember the little blurb about whittling?  This is why:

Rhett:  Mom, I am really good at carving with a knife.  I think after I finish playing pro football, my job will be to carve things with my knife!

me: Uh, no it won't.

(Usually, I let my kids dream.  I let them think they can do whatever with their lives.  But not this.  Oh no.)

Rhett:  Why not?  I am good at it!

me:  Rhett, you can do that as a hobby.  Or when you retire when you are an old man.  This can't be your career.  (Remember, it says hobby.  Even obsession.  But not career!)

Rhett:  Well, I think I can do whatever I want.

Noah:  I want to be an artist.  But I am afraid that after my football career, I'll be too buff.  I don't see many buff artists.

They said more but after that comment, I was laughing too hard.  To myself.  I can't crush all their dreams in one night after all.

PS-I hope I didn't offend anyone saying whittling is not a career.  I am sure people do this as their careers and they are quite good at it.  :)

4 comments:

Krista said...

Yeah, I can't watch people use knives. The way Mom slices strawberries makes me really nervous. (Aiming the knife toward her thumb! Yikes! Although that's probably the right way to do it. No offense Mom.)

And Noah's comment is just priceless.

Anonymous said...

Buff artist...so funny! And I am only slightly hurt by the whittling is not a career comment. :)

Christy

Karen said...

None taken, Krista. I have to say that I have never cut my finger slicing strawberries, but I have cut it several times while using a cutting board and aiming the knife away from me! Go figure.

Noah's comments are too funny. A buff artist!

H Noble said...

Aimee- I just thought the other day about Casey coming back to school with that big bandage on his hand. Isn't that odd that I thought of that?

I only seem to cut myself when slicing tomatoes, although I'm not sure why they are different than any other fruit or veggie. Something to ponder.