Friday, January 08, 2010

just finished reading

Pride and Prejudice
Ok, no.  I started that.  And then I skipped to the end.  I don't know.  Classics are hard to read.  Especially when you have been reading "young adult" novels, like:

Impossible by Nancy Werlin

which is what I really just finished reading.



I wanted to read this because it was inspired by the ballad "Scarborough Fair."  Simon & Garfunkel sang this song but it is an old ballad with much history apparently. I like the tune of the song and any book that is inspired by a song sounds interesting to me, so there you go.

It was a fast read, much faster than Pride & Prejudice will ever be.  I liked the idea of the story so much.  Some elements of the story were too rushed but I guess that isn't fair for me to say since I like fast reads and then say it was too rushed.  But all in all, a good story.

It has won many awards like "Best for Teens" and my favorite: "Best Novel for Young Adults That Adults Would Love If They Knew About It."  (from Publishers Weekly "Cuffie" awards).  That made me feel better that I was reading a teen novel.

Will I finish P&P?  I'll try but now I know why they make people read books like that in high school and college.  Because I don't have to write a paper about a certain theme or take a test about it later, I feel like I don't have to finish the book at all.  I don't have the will.

The next book will be Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.  This one will be interesting because I actually did read it in high school and wrote a paper about it.  And I really did like it.  Plus, I am so loving the fantasy themes and monster themes right now.  I hope that I will like it as much and not be annoyed by all of the footnotes at the bottom of the pages, explaining what the author meant.  That is what happened with P&P.  Did you know that book is almost 200 years old?  Wow.  Sadly, that fact still doesn't make me want to finish it.

Oh and I also joined a bookclub that my neighborhood started.  I had to order that book so I am waiting for it to come in the mail.  It is called Lucy by Ellen Feldman.  I think it is about FDR and his mistress, Lucy.  I did not know he had a mistress so I have already learned something.  I'll let you know how that book goes.

And I know that I am no book reviewer. But I just wrote a post for each day this week and that hasn't happened in a long time.  I thought I needed to write one for today and so I wrote about the books I am reading, not reading and yet to read. 

I also know that I sound, oh what is the word?... well, like I am not trying very hard to read what could be a wonderful book.  I have had this problem before.  I tried reading another Jane Austen book and just couldn't get past the words to see the story, do you know what I mean? Anyway...

Have a great weekend and I'll see you on Monday!

4 comments:

Krista said...

You should try Pride & Prejudice & Zombies!

I never liked Jane Austen either. I appreciate what she accomplished, but not the way she wrote.

The book club sounds fun -- keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

At least you are reading something of value--I just read "fluff". Just something to take me away after a long, hard day. Sandy

Karen said...

Jane Austen is not one of my favorites either. For one thing, I could never get around the silly - at least to me - social conventions of the 1800s. And I thought that her characters lacked substance. They were never people that I wished I had known. However, watch the movies. Pride and Prejudice is a good film!

Abbey said...

This made me laugh Aimee because the only reason I'd ever read Jane Austen was because it was a college requirement. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like it. :)

I did just finish a good fiction book called "Sworn to Silence" by Linda Castillo. Not the best written book but it has a great story line.