Wednesday, June 30, 2010

how our house became our home

Hello there!  I am so excited.  There are no more boxes on the first floor of my house.  Everything is unpacked! Yay. I will post pictures but right now I am being lazy.  Although, if I load pictures, I will have time to read the book I have been reading for the past month.  The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson started out slow but is picking up speed now and I am really into it now.  Anyway...

Back to the house.  Because I have not blogged in a while, I want to tell the story of how our house became our house.  It really isn't a long story but it shows how things just work out in Seth's and my life.  Even if we fight it.  You'll see what I mean in a second.

So the first or second house hunting trip, we were looking at the neighborhood we currently reside in.  It was one of my favorites because it had trees (a plus) and it wasn't flat (I am all about interesting landscape). Our realtor took us to a house that is down the street from our house.  We got out of the car and I looked around.  I wasn't too thrilled with that house's location because it was right at the T in the road.  But I looked down the street and fell in love with another house.  Why? It was different than the others.  It had red bricks that had chunky cement in between (I know that doesn't sound appealing but it really looks neat).  It also had red window frames and black shutters.  Red window frames.  If you know me, you know I am all about the unique touches of a home (hello? Turquoise bathroom anyone?).  I told Seth, "Look at that house.  Too bad it is not on the market.  I love the outside!

A couple of weeks later, Seth called me and told me he looked at some houses with his realtor and nothing really was great except one.  He said, "Remember that red and black windows house?"

It was meant to be.

Except, I balked. 

Seth really liked the house.  He said it was a custom build so it had a lot of special touches throughout the home.  He said it had a good-sized backyard.  It was two-story, which the boys really wanted. Ect. Ect.

That weekend we went house hunting again.  And we looked at the house.  And I did like it.  Then we went to another house in another neighborhood.  This neighborhood had big, huge trees and lots of hills.  It had beautiful houses that were older and I loved them.  I started thinking of all we could do with these houses. 

Seth kept coming back to the red and black windows house.  This house had a neighborhood pool he said.  This way we could be near kids for Rhett and Noah. 

We looked at red and black windows house three times.  Each time I secretly loved it more.  Secretly because I was afraid we wouldn't get it so I didn't even want to try.  Isn't that silly? 

All those other houses were great.  But red and black windows house fit us.  And now that we are in it, I love it as much as you are supposed to love your home.  I can see ourselves here for many, many years.  Down the street are a whole mess of boys and a few girls that Rhett and Noah have already started playing with. I am so glad Seth didn't give up trying to talk me into it.

It really was meant to be.

Like I said, this has happened before.  When we moved to Edmond, I said, "I really want a magnolia tree in our yard."  Just a simple request.  They were everywhere in Edmond so I thought that would be an easy request.  Only one house we looked at had a magnolia tree in the yard.  And that house is the one we ended up buying.  (that probably isn't as good as the story above but I just wanted to drive home my point).

I hope everyone has a great 4th of July weekend.  We are having guests, so I need to finish cleaning.  Talk to you later!

3 comments:

Karen said...

I can hardly wait to see it. And I will know to look for the house with red and black windows!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I can't wait for pictures -- inside & out!

Christy

Krista said...

It sounds beautiful and I'm sure you will make it even more so because you're good at that. :)