Friday, May 13, 2011

this has been a lot of fun

I was thinking this morning about how I would begin my blog post and I thought of That 70's Show episode where the gang goes to Canada to get beer, then Fez loses his Green Card and they get caught by the Canadian border guard.  Leo (who is played by Chong, of Cheech and Chong) answers all the Mounties' questions with the same question, for example: 

Mounty:  What are you doing in Canada?
Leo:  What are you doing in Canada, man?

It is hilarious (and I know I am not doing it justice by writing about it here) and anyway, the reason I thought of it was because I imagined you, my blog reader, saying, "Where have you been lately?" and my immediate response was, "Where have you been lately, man?" 

But to answer your question (that I imagined you asking), I have been reading.  And sewing pillows.  And cleaning carpets.  Some other things too.

Books:

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls is such a good memoir. It is a story in the same vein as Angela's Ashes (alcholic father, very poor growing up, ect) but didn't make you feel as sad because of her tone.  This book I read for my book club, which was last night at my house.  I made pinwheel sandwiches and brownies and it was so fun to sit in a group of women and just talk. 

I will admit, I never wanted to read this book.  It looked boring to me.  And then the movie came out and Robert Pattinson stars in it and all of the sudden, it looked a little less boring.  ;)  So I read it and kicked myself that I didn't read it before now.  Love, love, love this book. 

And my new obsession:  The Mortal Instruments series by Cassadra Clare.  These books remind me a little of Harry Potter (in a good way, not a totally copying-sort-of way.)  A science-fiction/fantasy/romance (my favorite combo) story about supernatural beings, both good and evil.  Really love these books.  I think she wrote a trilogy, then decided to write six instead and the fourth book has been just released. She also has written a prequel about The Mortal Instruments so there is that too.  Plenty to keep me busy during the hot summer months.

Today:

Rhett has his graduation ceremony today.  His elementary school only goes through 4th grade.  I do know they are going to show a slideshow and sing a song, a combination that will no doubt make me cry.  I really try not to cry but I can't help it.  Kids singing brings tears to my eyes and I have found it doesn't matter what it is--the kids' choir sang for Easter at our church and tears streamed down my face, when Rhett had his musical and sang about pioneers, I cried at that too.  And slideshows--forget it.  I'll just bring plenty of tissues and try not to embarrass myself. 

A funny: (not meant to embarrass my hubby)

I tried a different recipe for my brownies for the book club meeting last night.  While Rhett was eating one for his dessert last night, he told Seth, "These taste different."  Seth didn't know I made them and he thought for a split second that maybe, just maybe, they were "special" brownies that one of the book club ladies made.  So he tasted it but decided they were fine.  When he told me about it later, I asked if he would have known what "special" brownines tasted like and he said that surely he could have.  Then I asked if he really thought one of the women could have done that!  He said, "I don't know them!"  We had a good laugh.  The more I think about it, the more I laugh.  And, strangely enough, it reminds me of That 70's Show because there is always a point in each episode that they are sitting around a table, getting high and laughing.  Stranger still, I have referenced that show twice and I really never watched it while it was on and hardly watch it now. 

Have a wonderful weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am reading the Hunger Games series...sooo good, can't put them down!

Glad to hear from you!

CHristy

Karen said...

I loved the Hunger Games series, too.

How was graduation? I know what you mean about slide shows and kids singing making you cry. It does me too!