Friday, June 08, 2007

disappointing children

...Tonight's conversation went something like this:

me: I am going to have at least 4 more blooms on my Magnolia tree.
seth: good.
noah: what?
me: 4 more blooms!
noah: 4!?!
me: yes.
noah: where?
me: on the tree.
noah: I want to see the balloons!
seth: no! flowers! not balloons. Blooms.
noah: oh.

Oh, the disappointment. I mean, balloon trees would be fascinating.

****

While the boys were getting baths, I checked on the fish and noticed RJ, our catfish, was no longer a part of the living. After Seth got him out, we debated on how we would tell the boys. So I went in there, told them and immediately, Rhett starts bawling his little eyes out. Turns out, RJ was his best friend. It says so on the picture he drew of the catfish later. Rhett breaks down at least 3 times before bed because of this fish. This fish that would hide from the light, never come out to eat...it is a wonder the little guy lasted this long.

Rhett just couldn't understand why it died this fast. Meaning, we only had him 3 weeks.

In fish time though, isn't that pretty good?

Noah, in the meantime, was just fine.

***

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor little guy - I feel sorry for his disappointment about the catfish. Fish come and go - perhaps you guys will end up like Brandon and I. We awoke one morning to find hundreds of babies in our tank! I'm sure my parents were thrilled.

Christy

Krista said...

We've had some fish last for about three weeks, and some fish that just live on and on and on...Mallory is about as attached to our fish as Noah seems to be to yours!

H Noble said...

Depends on if you have a bully like we did, or if your water is balanced, or if they just plain up and die. You never know. We've had the seventeen we have now for at least 6 months.
Poor Rhett though, its disturbing even to me when it happens.
H