Tuesday, June 12, 2007

St. Louis: views of the arch

...this weekend we went to St. Louis and we had a blast! It was so not like Seth and me to do this--plan a whirlwind trip like this--and maybe that was why we had such a great time. We were tired when we got back home but it was a good tired. We did so much there that we have never done before: ride on a train (Seth, Rhett and Noah), ride on a riverboat (all of us), go up 630 feet to the top of the Gateway to the West or the Arch (all of us!!), see a naked chimpanzee (more on that later), see the World Series Trophy (more on that tomorrow), so it was a successful vacation. Here are some photos of the arch:
Ok, I did not realize that it was this...BIG! When Seth first mentioned going up to the top, Rhett, Noah and I looked at him like he was crazy. I think the reason I was so scared is because I had no idea how you got up there. You can't see an elevator or anything. It looks too skinny and too steep.
I love this picture because of the group of people standing behind us. They look like they were posing for our picture, doesn't it? I think they were lining up for their own photo but I still think it is funny.
This is my favorite--the view of the Arch blocking the sun. We were standing so close to it and I had no nerve. Too scared to go to the top so I told Seth no. But he finally talked us all into going and really, it wasn't too bad. Well, I won't lie to you--the trip up and down was less desirable than I would have liked. They put 5 people into this tiny pod (think Spaceballs--the pods that they go into to escape from the exploding space shuttle? That is what I thought of) and it was hot and uncomfortable and I thought if this thing gets stuck, I would seriously freak out because of lack of air but it didn't and we made it to the top just fine.
And there they are at the top. Looking out the windows was pretty cool, seeing the stadium, the view of Illinois, where we stayed, ect.
I will share some more photos tomorrow. I need to do some laundry and stuff like that though right now! Back to reality for me.



3 comments:

Abbey said...

How fun!! I've only flown into St. Louis on the way to Ohio but have never stopped and enjoyed the town. You make me want to go!

Anonymous said...

I do love the picture of the arch. Can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

Christy

H Noble said...

Too fun! I've never been there, and believe me, would not be going up in that thing!!! :)
H