Wednesday, June 13, 2007

the rest of the story


...The top riverboat is the Tom Sawyer. We rode this riverboat, seeing the sights of the Mighty Mississip. (You should hear Rhett say that, it is funny!) The river is browner than brown and although the tour guides kept saying that the water level was pretty high and the deepest point was near New Orleans (over 200 feet deep), it just seemed like it wasn't that deep to me since it looked like muddy water. I vaguely remember when Dad went on a Mississippi River trip and maybe his views stuck with me, I don't know. Although it was neat to see the sights and hear the history, I wasn't too impressed with the beauty of it. Noah wanted popcorn the whole time, but Rhett was interested, so one out of two is not bad. I think Seth really enjoyed it.

This is the Eads Bridge (and forgive me if I misspell that). This is the view from our hotel, but we also went underneath it during our riverboat ride. When it was built, no one thought it would last because it was one of the first of its kind. It is still here, in working condition and the MetroLine even goes underneath the highway.

And this is Busch Stadium, the new stadium. It overlaps where the old one stood. It is very impressive. This is the view from the arch, but we also went in it for the game. St. Louis loves their Cardinals, let me tell you. 9 out of 10 people wore Cardinal attire. I am not kidding about that. I felt like getting a shirt that read "Pujols-#5" even though I really did not know who he was. The fever is catching I guess!

The game was interesting. I felt bad for Seth. This is probably the one thing he really wanted to do and he really didn't get to see all that much of the game. It was Saturday and by the time we went, we were all tired after a long day of "doing" and kind of cranky. Noah ended up falling asleep, but only after complaining half the time, I kept telling Seth that we could leave and let him stay (but I am glad we didn't do that--strange characters come out in the evening!), so, alas, Seth had to watch the rest of the game in the hotel room. The stadium was a neat experience though and we actually got to see the World Series trophy, so that was cool.

Anyway, that is some of what we did in St. Louis. I recommend going. I just never realized how historical it was (the Dred Scott case was at the Courthouse, Mark Twain got his start writing there, it is the Gateway to the West!). A good trip.

3 comments:

Krista said...

Glad you had fun! Man, that is some muddy water. It looks like chocolate milk!

I had no idea you could ride up in the Arch. I think that would have freaked me out too. Glad you landed safely!

Abbey said...

A good trip indeed! Still waiting for the naked chimpanzee story.

H Noble said...

Very educational, and I'm tired just reading about all you did! That is sad about the baseball game- we try to catch a game in every city we visit, major or minor league. Our favorite so far was in Jacksonville. Beautiful night, friendly folks, and baseball. What else do you need?
H