Friday, September 11, 2009

9-11

...I have been thinking a lot about my trip to New York with my sisters and mom that we took one year ago. I really wish we were back there this year as well. New York City was a fantastic place to visit. I think what made the trip so special, though, was the chance to really visit with Mom, Jana and Krista.

We flew out on September 11. Many people looked at us like we were crazy to fly out that day. But really, won't September 11 be the safest day to fly, I asked myself, probably trying to convince myself that it really would be okay.

And it was.

A few days later, we went Downtown to look at the World Trade Center site. It was a sombering reminder of how we should not take life or loved ones for granted. That we really should live each day to the fullest. Looking at the emptiness of where the buildings once stood only made that more true to me.
A few blocks away, there stood a flag memorial near the damaged sphere sculpture that survived the attack. It was beautiful and touching. I remember wishing, and it is still a wish today, that Americans still felt as much pride and unity as we did just after 9-11. How easily those feelings vanish and the discord and unhappiness returns.

I hope, today, we remember not only those who lost their lives, who gave their lives, those who survived and those who lost their loved ones but also that feeling of "we are all in this together."



4 comments:

H Noble said...

Thanks Aimee. That was a nice tribute.

Krista said...

Beautiful.

It's hard to believe that we were there, just a year ago.

Anonymous said...

Nice tribute.

I was also thinking about our trip and wishing that we were there again.

Mom

Anonymous said...

We have many of the same photos. I too have been to NYC since 9/11 and it is certainly one of my favorites for many reasons.

Christy