Friday, September 04, 2009

let's talk about

...Noah: I was up at the school yesterday morning before school started. I said bye to the boys then I went to do something. Afterward, I was walking down the hall and spied my sweet son holding hands with a very cute girl that is in his class. I had to bite my tongue, literally, to keep from squealing, "That is so cute! You are holding hands with a girl!" I played it cool and just walked on by, saying hi to both. Noah looked surprised to see me but he played it cool as well. His hand stayed firmly planted in hers.

Rhett: Last night we were working on some Cub Scout requirements and we got to one that was about Faith. I asked him to name two famous individuals who had faith. He named George Washington and Abraham Lincoln, obviously. After I asked why he said, "George Washington had faith that his soldiers would win the war. And Lincoln had faith that his soldiers would win the war against slavery."

I told him what faith means to me. (That at the end of every day, it is so comforting to know that there is a power bigger than me, than this life, and that He will take care of things. He will take care of me). Rhett said, "Yeah. Sure. I get it."

I keep going. I ask him how he could have faith in his life. He looks at me blankly. I ask him if he could talk to God about his problems and believe that He would take care of them. Believe that God knows what He is doing. Rhett asks, "You can do that? I thought God was much too busy for my problems." I assured him that God wants to hear his problems. He answered, "Ok. I'll remember that for next time."

Who knew what we could both learn from Cub Scouts.

This Weekend: Seth's parents are coming which will be fun. We also will have another guest in our house. Her name is Holly Spots and she is a pregnant bunny. From Rhett's class. I am praying that the bunny does not decide to have little baby bunnies while she is here. I am a little nervous about that and other things.

My Mistrust of Rabbits: When I was younger, we had a pet rabbit. I won't call this rabbit a bunny because he was much too mean for that cute name. He scratched and bit and ran away all the time. I remember one time, the rabbit got out of the fenced in area that my dad had built for it and Casey thought we needed to go after it. We were in the fenced-in area and Casey knew if he helped me over the sharp, metal fence it would be so much quicker than us going in the house and out another door. Of course it would. So he tries to lift me up and gets me over half-way and then lets go of me. I end up falling over to the other side but not before the fence leaves huge scratches down my back. I know I cried. I don't know who ended up catching the rabbit but it wasn't me. That rabbit eventually ran away for good and no one missed it. Every since, I don't trust bunny rabbits. Sure they look cute. That is where they fool you.

My use of pesticides: I tried so hard. I had such dreams for my butterfly garden. Big, beautiful flowers and lots of color with many butterflies all over the place.

The reality is that the only insect who has really being enjoying my garden is the ant. So I finally broke down yesterday and put some insect killer down. I know I won't kill the butterflies because they haven't been around. Sigh. Maybe next year.

4 comments:

Krista said...

That bunny was really mean. I remember how thrilled Mom was when Grandma gave it to us!

Noah is a charmer. And I love those conversations with kids where you can tell that they really do get it.

Michelle said...

It could have been worse. I loved the bunny Bon gave us. I still remember coming home from school to see snow white fluff all over the backyard. That was all that was left after the dog got to it. Mom says she can still hear the bunny screaming...

Anonymous said...

Noah is definitely a lady's man! I hope that you still think it is cute when he is 16!

Ah yes, the bunny. Just so you know, I will NEVER give one of my grandchildren a bunny - and I try to never say never!!

Mom

H Noble said...

That's a lot to talk about. I'm thrilled about the conversation with Rhett- hopefully he'll ask more questions and fully understand what an amazing God we do have!