Thursday, August 12, 2010

the difference between day and night

or The First Day of School or The Very First Day at a New School or Finally! School Starts!...I mean, um, oh never mind.

6:45- Rhett's alarm goes off (I'm just guessing here because I didn't hear it.  I was still sleeping.)

Between 6:45 and 7:20-Rhett gets dressed, brushes his teeth, combs his hair, makes sure his backpack is ready and starts to fix his own breakfast (Don't you wish you had a Rhett?)  He also asks Cameron (who is staying with us for another week) what he wants for breakfast.  Cam chooses Fruity Pebbles because they are so much healthier than Cocoa Pebbles.  Ha!



7:30- 7:50- I go up to wake up Noah.  First Noah pops right up.  Then he frowns.  Uh-oh, I think.  I tell him again to get up.  He says he is way too tired.  I try again.  He reiterates that he is too tired.  And cold.  I hand him his robe.  He starts to cry.  And he cries for the next 8 minutes.  I finally give him a choice:  Get dressed now or eat breakfast first, then get dressed.  I drag him down stairs.  He eats a little breakfast. 

7:50- Rhett is completely ready and restless.  Cameron is ready and wants to know why he can't wear his new school shoes.  I tell him because he is not going to school today.  Oh.

8:00- Noah is finally ready and in a better mood.  He did want to wear jeans but I told him it was going to be over 100 degress today, so no.  Sigh. 

8:05- We go outside and get the first day of pictures over with.  At least that is what it looks like from the pictures.  And good news! The bus stops right next door so we don't have to walk far! 

8:11- Bus comes.  I give them a hug, remind them to drink their water and they are off.  To a brand new school.  To brand new kids.  They are so brave. I hope they have a good day. I  hope they find good friends. I hope they like their teachers and I hope they don't feel lost.  While we are at it, I hope they have a great year, full of fun, surprises and a little learning.

Rhett, a fourth grader.  Noah, in second.  They may be night and day, but I'm so proud that they are mine.

Meanwhile, Cam and I have already been on a walk.  We are going to have a good day, just me and him.  I hope he doesn't miss his cousins too much during the day. 

Have a great day!

5 comments:

JNoble said...

Are you aware you put your forth grader on a bus bound for high school? The irony is crazy funny to me! I hope their first day is a good one.

aimee said...

Justin, that cracked me up too. After first checking to make sure they were indeed on the right bus though. :)

H Noble said...

I didn't even catch that! I would be making sure too. :)
You are a wonderful, brave mom and I'm proud of you. Hope their first day is wonderful!

Krista said...

I DO want a Rhett! My kids are definitely more Noah-ish in the morning.

I want a school bus, too...no matter where it takes them!

I hope they have a great day and a great year.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I didn't know they were already starting the school year up there. The boys are brave...I would have been terrified with all the new!

Christy