Thursday, February 28, 2008

N His name is Noah

...This week was tough for Noah and me. Every morning was the same: He or I would get mad at one another for something, followed by silence in the car after dropping off Rhett, who can never be silent :), followed by big sighs from Noah while I'm trying to get him out of the car and into school, followed by the beginnings of a frown up to the classroom, followed by Noah grabbing onto my leg and not going into the classroom by himself, then pouting while I'm yelling (at this point) at him to put away his things, then pouting all the way downstairs to the gym or the playground, then and finally, full-blown crying while I'm trying to say good-bye. His teachers are so sweet and hold him while he wails about not wanting to leave me. They comfort him while I get back into my car and wonder what is going on and hoping that nothing happens to me or him between now and the time I pick him up. (You know those stories about the child not wanting to leave the parent then one tragically dies and the other (usually the parent) has survivor's guilt and the what-if I only listened to my child thoughts the rest of their lives). (I'm not being morbid, but I did just finish reading a couple of books where this happened so it is on my mind).

Anyway, today was no different. His teacher tried talking to him and asking him if something was bothering him that is making him so sad. Noah, of course, said nothing. But it almost made me cry because all I could think was, "I have a sad child. Nothing can make him happy. He will be sad no matter what I do or don't do." Yes, I realize I am being a bit dramatic (it runs in the family--see Krista's blog today to know what I mean) but I just don't understand what could make a child, who has so much (love, stuff, family, friends, ect), be so sad. So, I left him again crying in his teacher's arms.

My friend says not to worry. He'll be the strongest of the bunch when he is older. But will he be happy?

I just hope we figure out something in the mornings. We are running out of time before kindergarten in a public school where there is no time to comfort crying kids who want their mommy.

4 comments:

Krista said...

I'm sorry it's been a hard week. I have similar concerns about my kids -- why are they so stubborn, why is one so disrespectful (sometimes) when she's never been treated that way by her parents, why, why, why won't kids act they way they should? I think Noah's sweetness and sensitivity will serve him well in the future, but I know how hard it is for now. And, for what it's worth, Mallory cried leaving me for the last two months of PreK-4, but didn't cry at kindy once. So there is hope!

Anonymous said...

Let him ride the bus. I know that sounds kind of cruel(?) but it might work.

Mom

H Noble said...

I'm sorry you guys are having a hard time. I don't know what that's like, but I feel frustrated when Eli cries and cries and nothing makes him happy.

Kids are tough, and I agree that his sensitivity is a blessing. Hope things even out soon.
Love ya,
H

kristen said...

It is tough some days isn't it. I have 4 boys and they give me a run for my money some days !!! Especially when they all stick together, against me.