Wednesday, February 13, 2008

sick at home

...Yesterday I kept Rhett home from school because he has this cough that has been keeping him up at night. For 2 nights in a row, he'd been up until 10 and then waking up sometime around 1 am. I knew it was going to hit him soon that he was exhausted so I decided it would be better if he rested. Of course, for him, staying home did not mean resting. He did everything but. And he was so bored. After going to the doctor, he wanted to eat in McDonald's. I told him no. After lunch, he wanted to play with his friends. I told him no. After that he wanted to go outside. I told him no. He couldn't understand it. I told him being home from school when you are "sick" doesn't mean you can do whatever. He totally did not do the lay around and watch tv and drink o.j. all day, which I expected. Instead, he drove me nuts. Today he is back at school.

Today, Noah went to school and the second we got there he started yawning and his eyes were watering. He did not look good. The teacher talked us into letting him stay and seeing how things went (today is his valentine's party). So I left him. 30 minutes later I returned to get him. Now he is snuggled up in the chair, drinking o.j. and watching a movie. He knows how to be sick. :)

Don't get me wrong--I totally felt sorry for Rhett when he was up at night, coughing and couldn't go to sleep. Seth and I snuggled with him and made him ginger tea. I really thought I would be doing that yesterday too. But I don't think he was sick enough. The virus is making him cough, but not feel bad. Which is good. Unless you keep an active boy home from school and tell him he can't do anything. :)

Noah, I think, has the beginnings of a cold. I hope that is all it is. But no cough. Instead he feels yucky.

I just hope everyone feels better soon. This cold virus has been in our house long enough.

1 comment:

Krista said...

Try rubbing Vicks on Rhett's feet (the greaseless kind, and make him wear socks to bed) before he goes to sleep. This is a weird home remedy that works for a lot of people (even Snopes says it works!). Phoebe is my cougher, and this works on her about 75% of the time.

Hope everyone feels better soon!