Tuesday, March 10, 2009

newspapers--a thing of the past?

...Yesterday, I was cleaning and organizing Rhett's room (and even moved his furniture around--it looks really nice now) and I found a newspaper I had saved when the space shuttle Columbia broke up upon re-entry in 2003. First, I thought, "Wow. I am sure back then I had no idea I would become so interested in space and astronauts. Interesting that I kept this." Then I thought, "I guess there really is no reason to keep it though. If Rhett and Noah want to know about it they can look it up on the internet."

So I trashed it. I mean, I recycled it. :)

Has the internet made keeping things like newspapers, well, archaic? With Google, you can look up anything and I am sure that one little newspaper pales in comparision.

Honestly, I think the internet is making newspapers themselves archaic. (Sorry Dad.) You can get a whole wealth of information just from our home page. And our newspaper (that we get every Wednesday and Sunday) is getting smaller and smaller but also more expensive.

Maybe I should have saved that newspaper. Then when I am a grandmother, I could show my grandkids what I used to read. They will look at it in amazement, much like my sons looked when they saw a rotary phone or a cassette tape.

Just my thoughts for today...

2 comments:

The Taylor Family said...

I know what you mean. I saved the front pages of the newspaper on the days the girls were born. Now I'm not real sure why.

Krista said...

Yeah, and what about encylopedias? I used to love looking through volumes of our encyclopedia set. Can you even buy those anymore? What would be the point, really?