Wednesday, June 24, 2009

i interrupt National Pollinator Week

...for an important post. Or just one for things I would like to get off my chest.

1. Boys. I thought they were supposed to be drama-free. Not like girls. With the mean-spirited "friends", the leaving other kids out, the "I'm better than you are" haughtiness. My boys are the sweetest, friendliest, most loyal friends you could ask for. But unfortunatley, that means they are going to be the ones left out, whether intentional or not. They aren't part of the click because of some reason or another. I realized yesterday, I am going to have to start having more playdates. And I am one who doesn't usually do playdates. But I don't want my kids to feel the way they are feeling.

2. Baseball. Why, oh why, do the youth baseball organizations not have tryouts? Instead they allow teams to be put together by parents and the kids who aren't on a team are "leftovers" and sadly, most of them aren't experienced. Rhett, who has played for 4 years and knows the rules of the game pretty well, just hasn't had any luck with getting on a well-rounded team. I am sad for him because he feels he has to do all the work while playing the game and other teams are filled with star players and it isn't fair because they don't get any better playing teams that have kids that mostly are just now learning to bat. Have I ranted about this before? Sorry if I have, but it just really bothers me!

back to regular scheduled posts....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suspect that the boys who are being mean-spirited, etc. are sons of mothers who were that way when they were younger. It's too bad that is happening to the boys.

Mom

The Taylor Family said...

I know what you mean about baseball. Gracie is still in the t-ball world where everything is fun & fair. I hear people talking about what their older kids have gone through or what they are about to go through. I am not looking forward to that one bit. I just want it to be fun...whatever happened to that concept?

Anonymous said...

It is sad that kids have to learn just unfair things at such a young age. Sometimes life is unfair but it doesn't have to be that way with sports teams. Kinda like teaching--the kids are great when the parents stay out of the picture! Sandy

H Noble said...

Nothing fun and fair about teeball either folks! Jared found that out this season when his coach missed 'team-pick day' for her son's medical emergency. She was given the 'leftovers' and Jared was the ONLY returning player on the team. He is great, but can't complete a play b/c noone else could do anything. It really is frustrating.

Krista said...

My kids seem to get left out a lot too. Sometimes it's because other kids are being mean but sometimes it's because they're just not very outgoing. Either way is hard to deal with.

I'm sorry you have to deal with the sports thing too. Remember how Casey was always, always on the losing baseball team? Maybe it's some kind of curse!

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness...I too thought boys were easier in the friend respect, but I remember my brother being picked on because he was short. Not fun stuff to deal with...

Christy

Anonymous said...

Someday, historians will be able to tie the invention of t-ball to the start of the decline of western civilization. Baseball is a game of hitting a thrown ball, catching it, and throwing. Two or three years of glorified baby sitting and free snow cones does absolutely nothing as far as learning baseball. So don't worry about it. Just get ready for when try-outs and player drafts take place later when all the non players get culled and start taking flute lessons.

dad

Anonymous said...

not that there's anything wrong with playing the flute.

Dad