Wednesday, June 03, 2009

and so summer begins

...Happy Summer everyone! It rained last night (sorry, Friona folks if you did not get rain as well), so it is very cool this morning which means we are skipping Swim Team practice. The boys have it at 8:30 in the morning and yesterday they were almost blue! :) I know in about a month, we'll be wishing it was this cool.

We have been keeping busy and having fun. Today may not be too fun for the boys--it is errand day. Post office, grocery story, dry cleaners and maybe Ulta if I can squeeze it in. Have you ever tried to go to a beauty store with two boys. Well, it is exactly the same as when my mom went to the fabric store with her son (and I admit, I wasn't to happy to go either!). Rhett and Noah act like the whole store is cursed and if they go in, they'll turn into a girl or something.

I have already done my annual reading of Harry Potter. I read the last two books again last week. I want to make sure I am ready for the movie when it comes out in July. But after reading those books, I am always unsure of what to read next. Is there anything that will capture my attention like those did? Or make me care? So, I decided to read a classic, A Wrinkle in Time. I am embarrassed to admit that I have never read it before.

The boys are very picky on what they want to read. Noah only wants to read chapter books which is funny to me. He thinks he is such a big boy and picture books are just too short. Even though I think that he would love to read those. But who I am? Just his mom. Rhett only wants to read books about mythology right now. Percy Jackson is his Harry Potter. Nothing else is good enough. I want him to read Judy Blume and Beverly Clearly, but no. If it doesn't have the Sea of Monsters, then it doesn't interest him. :) (I am loving that they are both love reading!! It is so awesome!)

I guess I need to get ready for another day. Have a good one everyone!

4 comments:

Krista said...

I always feel the same way about HP after I re-read -- kind of empty and sad. The Wrinkle in Time books are very good, though.

It's very cool that your boys like to read that much. Mallory is still not much into chapter books,which makes me sad. She prefers short and easy. Maybe Phoebe will be my reader.

H Noble said...

Wonderful that the boys like to read as you do. Hope they keep it up!

Should I be embarrassed to say I've never read Harry Potter and don't intend to? :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great way to spend the summer. I am jealous. ENjoy the books! Melissa

Anonymous said...

I need to read HP 6 again before the movie too. Wrinkle in Time is very good. I would probably like to read it again too. I'm so glad that the boys enjoy reading.

Mom