Monday, February 08, 2010

my date with three perfect gentlemen

Saturday night, we took the boys to a steakhouse because we had a gift certificate.  It was pretty fancy.  I say this because my children were the only children there.  But they were so wonderfully polite!  We were so impressed.

When we first were seated, Rhett looked at all the silverware and folded cloth napkin (which we use all the time but ours are never folded nice and are also wrinkled because I don't iron napkins) and fancy water glass and just got so nervous.  He played with his forks and then played with his napkin.  I told him to relax and he put his hands to his face and said, "I'm sorry!  There is just so much pressure!"  He recovered enough to order a filet mignon and was, at first, disappointed by the size.  Too small he thought.  He ate the whole thing and then realized it was exactly the right size.  He was so happy.

Noah, on the other hand, was cool as a cucumber.  He listened intently to the server as she told us the specials and he even nodded once and awhile as if to say, "Oh, yes, those sound wonderful."  Too bad he really doesn't like steak (too chewy) or seafood (too gross, except the kind that tastes like chicken) and the only chicken dish they had was supposed to be slathered with a mushroom sauce.  They offered to go next door to a neighboring restaraunt to get chicken strips, but we said no thank you.  He took the chicken sans the sauce and mostly ate the complimentary bread they brought out to the table.  But he didn't complain once. 

I think steakhouses are wasted on me because you could just give me pasta and I would be happy.  But I ordered the steak because I always hear my dad's voice in my head:  You ordered that when we are at a steakhouse?  (that being pasta or chicken or anything but steak).  So steak is what I had and it was good.  I had the bearnaise sauce with it which was just delicious in every way.

Seth also had a steak, but his was huge and he enjoyed every bite. He is a steak and potatoes man through and through.  I feel bad that I hardly fix meat for him.  And never potatoes.  But I don't make him watch the vampire shows on tv with me, so it balances out.  (Did you see that commercial last night?  Dodge Charger's Man's Last Stand was pretty funny).

It was a nice date. 

2 comments:

Krista said...

Sounds like a wonderful date!

H Noble said...

I used to order burgers at steak places and got the same remarks from my dad. :) They shouldn't complain, the other dishes are generally less expensive!

Good for your boys for behaving so well!