Thursday, February 25, 2010

mornings aren't my cup of tea

Note: Initially, I was going to write, "mornings ain't my cup of tea" but then remembered I don't like the word 'ain't' so I didn't use it, although it would have given my title more oomph.  Is that how you spell 'oomph'?  I am not sure.

The past two mornings have been rough for this household.  Oh, who am I kidding?  Mornings are always rough.  I am not a morning person and although I realize this is not a valid reason for being grumpy, I still use it as a reason.

But yesterday and today have been doozies. 

Yesterday, I yelled at my kids because they were ignoring me.  Actually, I said, "Why are you ignoring me?  Am I not important enough for you?"

I thought about it later and realized that may have been a tad dramatic. 

When I dropped the kids off at school, Rhett had forgiven me but Noah had not.  I gave them a kiss and Noah wiped his off, grunted a good-bye (really, he grunted in response to my good-bye) and slammed the door.  Talk about dramatic. I have no idea where he gets that from.  Oh, wait, yes I do.

This morning, I asked Rhett a simple question.  He answered.  I told him that I didn't think he did what he said he did.  Oh, this is getting confusing.  Anyway, we started arguing and I told him he was stubborn, which he denied.  He then yelled, "You are just making me so mad! And I don't like it when you make me mad!" To his credit, he yelled with such control.

He didn't say anything to me when he got out of the car, except, "Are we bus or car today?"  I wanted to say, "Definitely bus mister, because you just yelled at me!" but I figured that would be too dramatic so I just said, "Bus." Then I smiled my best smile and drove off. 

3 comments:

H Noble said...

You mean the defiance doesn't end after the two year old phase??? Please tell me something more encouraging!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like our house this week - our have been doozies in the evenings. I can't tell you how many times I have been told I am the meanest mom ever. Surely tonight all will be well and Rhett and Noah will remember how important and what a great mom you are (even in the mornings)!!! Sigh....it is such a challenge! Love, Melissa

Krista said...

Holly -- the thing about 2-year-olds is that you can at least pick them up and hug them when their tantrums are over. Or, more to the point, you can pick them up and carry them to the car when you're in a hurry and have to leave right this minute. Not so much with bigger kids.

Hope this morning went better, Aimee. At least tomorrow's Saturday!