Friday, October 08, 2010

lest you think i was exagerrating

 My spider story would have been a lot better with pictures.  Yesterday, I went back out there to see if the spider was still there.  You see that it was.  (It is the black spot in the picture above).
 It is also the giant blob in the picture above.  However, in this photo, I focused on the tree branches, not the spider.  Look at what she is doing to the tree!  There are webs all over the tree like this.
 And here is her masterpiece, the one she was on when I was directly below her, looking for a football.  I made these pictures black and white because the detail of the web really stands out better.  Beautiful.  The web, not the spider.
I zoomed out a little.  This web really is high up from the ground.  the thing is, I am not sure what it is attached to.  Yes, the tree but then what?  Our tree is by our fence and then for 5-10 feet there is nothing until the neighbor's trampoline.  I don't know but it looks like it is just floating. 

Scout update:  I think she is doing better!  She feels better but still doesn't really have an appetite and is so smart she knows when I'm trying to sneak a pill into food.  I think she doesn't trust food or trust me with food anymore.  But she is acting like her old self and that is a big relief. 

Update on me:  There are times when I feel guilty staying home, thinking I should do more or that both boys are in school so I need to get out there and go back to work.  But honestly, these past two weeks, I haven't felt that once.  Rhett has so much homework once he gets home (something I am not sure should happen and I definitely am going to inquire to the teacher about come parent/teacher conference-yes, I am going to be that mother, sorry teacher friends and family) and for about an hour and a half, I have to be there with them, helping them with Math and Spelling, and keeping them, especially Rhett on task (another think I need to inquire to the teacher about.  This first, then the homework).  Then there is Scout,  who is takes half an hour to feed and take pills and so on and honestly, I am grateful right now.  I'm not saying I am never going back to work or that I still don't feel guilty (honestly, what mom doesn't feel guilty about something, whether you work or stay-at-home?)  but I do know that I still feel needed and that has restored my faith in being a stay-at-home mom.  Anyway, enough about me.

Have a great weekend and make sure  you look up when you go outside.  You never know when spiders are lurking above. :)

4 comments:

Krista said...

Yikes, that is kind of a big spider. We have tons of spiders in our backyard too, it's annoying.

I have a couple of friends who worked when their kids were little and then quit AFTER the kids started school, because it got too crazy with the homework and soccer and whatnot. There definitely isn't enough time in the day to get everything done (this is why my house is such a mess all the time).

An hour and a half of homework sounds like way too much. Mallory usually has about 20 minutes (which can stretch to 45 if she dawdles, of course). I read someplace that kids should have 10 minutes of homework for each grade level (so, 30 minutes for 3rd grade) which sounds reasonable to me.

Sorry, this is a totally long comment.

aimee said...

So Rhett should only have 40 minutes. Makes sense. Maybe he would have 40 minutes but by the time he gets home he is fried and can't focus anymore. But sometimes it is over 2 hours and there is no way he would get done sooner. I don't know.

Karen said...

Speaking as a teacher, I feel that 2 hours a day is too much for a fourth grader. I'm sure it is hard to keep him on task because he is tired and probably doesn't want to do school work. Before I retired, I rarely gave homework on a daily basis. Usually if I gave any, it was for a long-term paper or project and the kids had a week or two to complete it.

Anonymous said...

I don't know about elementary, but I very, very rarely give homework...I would NEVER get it back from the majority. I don't remember having homework that young...I do remember a few litter projects that we did at home, but that is about it.

Christy