Tuesday, October 12, 2010

our scout

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really. ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull


Scout
Born February 1999.  Died October 11, 2010.

Became a Houston during Spring Break of 1999.  Seth and I were only going to look at boxer puppies because someday we would have liked one.  We took one look at this beautiful puppy and tried to leave her.  We drove away knowing in 10 minutes we would be back.  And we were.

Named after the character in my favorite book, To Kill a Mockingbird. 

Thankful for Seth's parents that took her for about 2 months until we could find an apartment that allowed dogs.

Her favorite thing was to be rubbed on her belly while she stood in front of you.  Sometimes she would stand there, in front of our feet, just waiting.  She also loved laying in the sun.  She would stretch out and you know that she was saying, "Ahhhh. This feels so good."  Chasing Brinkley's tail was also a favorite pasttime.  I think that is why Brinkley can't be still to save his life because he always had Scout behind him, biting his tail.  I bet he'll miss it though. He'll miss her

She loved to lay on my lap when I was pregnant with  Rhett.  I knew it got harder for her the bigger I got, but she still managed to fit.  Then when Rhett was born, she knew that she had to protect him. She sat right in front of his bassanet and growled at anyone who tried to get close.  She was so good with the boys and only barked at their loud and obnoxious friends.

Speaking of barking, she barked.  A lot.  All the time.  These past few months, I would catch her just sitting in the middle of the yard and just bark.  Maybe she was saying, "Hey, I may be old and can't get up but I still hear you so get away."  Or maybe she just barked to bark.  It will be quiet at our house now.

She layed on my bed after my miscarriage and knew to just lay there while I cried.  I think all dogs are so good at being your friend.  They just know what to do.

You ask of my companions. Hills, sir, and the sundown, and a dog as large as myself that my father bought me. They are better than human beings, because they know but do not tell. ~Emily Dickinson

Scout was a really, really good dog.

(If you are still here, thank you for reading.  Using my blog to write about Scout has been good therapy.)

3 comments:

Krista said...

I'm so sorry. She was a good dog and she knows how much you loved her.

Do you have the book Dog Heaven? You may need to wait a few weeks before you can actually read it, but the boys might like it. (Actually I still can't read it without crying.)

Finn died exactly two years ago. She and Noodle can show Scout around up there.

Karen said...

I was thinking about Noodle too. I think that he also died in October.

I will always remember Scout racing through my house while you and Rhett stayed with us after Rhett was born. Maybe she was looking for Rhett to see if we were taking care of him.

H Noble said...

I'm sorry Aimee. I know you loved her so much and I remember how I grieved after my beloved cat died. They are a part of the family for sure.