Monday, October 04, 2010

what we are learning in school


I am distracting myself from thinking of my dog, Scout, who is in the hospital due to heart problems. Apparently, it is a common problem with boxers. Now Brinkley acts lost without his friend and I'm on the verge of tears almost all the time. But I am trying to stay positive and these kids of mine are great distractions. 

Here is a snippet of what Rhett has been learning and writing about in school:

"I wonder why the Nazis just decided to hate the Jews. It just doesn't make any sense. You don't just decide to hate somebody.  It's very very cruel what they did."
-Rhett, August 24, 2010

He is also learning to play 'Hot Cross Buns' on the recorder and every time he plays, I say a silent pray asking for blessings upon the music teacher who has to listen to hundreds of kids play the recorder.

Rhett is also learning about Oklahoma history.  I've said this before, but it makes my heart a little sad that my kids aren't learning about Texas history.  Seth and I throw it in every once in awhile.  Oklahoma has an interesting history too, I guess.  Boomers and Sooners and "Kentucky" Daisy throwing herself off the train to stake a piece of land (now Edmond, OK).  Do you want to know what Boomers and Sooners are?  Yeah, I didn't think so.

Noah is learning how to write.  Coincidentally, he wrote about something he is learning from home:  Texas History! 
The Alomo by Noah Houston
The Alomo was a war Texas vs. Mexico
it all started when Texas was part of Mexico but Texas didn't want to be a part of Mexco so a war began
Sam Houston was the geral. (I'm related to him.)
Texas lost but another war stated and Texas won! and became ther on contry.
Yes, we need to work on a few details but I like that he made sure to add that he is related to Sam Houston.  My kids get such a kick out of that possible relation.
He also wrote about sharks:
Sharks by: Noah Houston
Sharks are insestengig creaturs.
Did you know that dog, cat, even pigs kill more people than sharks do.  Whale sharks are the Biggest fish in the world!
I need to go get the car's oil changed and then go to the vet for an update on Scout now.  I hope you have a good Monday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Noah writes & spells like some of my 9th graders! :)

Let us know how Scout is!

Christy

Karen said...

Sending good wishes for Scout - and Brinkley.

I didn't know that pigs killed more people than sharks. I want more details!

Krista said...

I am amazed about the pigs too. And Rhett is very wise.

Hope you got good news about Scout.