Tuesday, October 26, 2010

no deed goes unpunished; however small

The other day, I walked into the laundry room to put something away and when I turned around, my eye caught this on the wall by my built-in desk:


Someone has been busy. And it sure isn't Rhett.

Immediately, I think about when I did this as a child. I wrote "Casey" on the wall of our bathroom and in a corner by my bedroom door but compared to Noah, I actually got away with it a couple of times before my parents really looked and knew it wasn't my brother's doing. Apparently, he wrote his "s" backwards back then. Small detail I missed.

Anyway, I couldn't help but laugh and then groan. How am I going to punish him for doing the same thing I did?

When confronted, Noah broke down and cried. He then told me, "What am I supposed to do when I'm mad at Rhett? You won't let me hit him!" Then he said, "I tried to erase it!"

Later that day, we went to Wal-mart. Before we went inside, he asked if he could buy a toy with his own money. I told him no. He didn't understand why I was punishing him that way. It was his own money. After 15 minutes of listening to him in Wal-mart go on and on, I wondered why I was punishing myself.

Not remembering what my parents' punishment was for me when they finally caught me as the culprit, I figure I am now square with the universe for my act against my brother.

4 comments:

Krista said...

I guess you'll just have to start let them hit one another!

As soon as I saw the picture I thought about your own graffiti, back in the day.

Karen said...

I don't remember what your punishment was either. I started to tell you to let him repaint it, but that is probably a bad idea too!

Anonymous said...

Kids - always an adventure as a parent. It is amazing how they justify their actions. Matthew wrote his name on his bedroom door in permanent marker a day or two after we spent a lot of money paying someone to come and paint our front rooms, stairway and upstairs hallway (including the doors). He tried to erase it too :-) MKH

Anonymous said...

I remember well--We made you go to Texas Tech.
Dad