Wednesday, September 12, 2007

truth in advertising

...I was flipping through some coupons sent by direct mail this morning, and I found these words, "Your Comfort is Important to Us!" on top of an advertisement. It was from a heating and air conditioning company. Those words struck me though and I thought, "Yes. Isn't it though?"

Comfort. Doesn't everyone want to be comfortable? Comfortable in their own skin, comfortable at work, at school, in their clothes, outside, inside, in bed? Isn't comfort food the best? Nothing beats a great big bear hug or a warm fuzzy blanket or a big, gooey, chocolate chip cookie right out of the oven. There is nothing better than being just right, not too hot, not too cold, not wet, but just right.

When you are wearing that pair of "too-tight" pants, your whole day is ruined because you feel so uncomfortable that nothing else matters.

When you have to do something that is "out-of-your-comfort-zone," it creates anxiety and makes you feel like you would rather be anywhere else but in that moment.

But if you stayed "comfortable" all your life, and didn't venture outside your comfort zone, would you not miss out on some of the best things in life? Some great opportunities come along and even though it makes you scared and uncomfortable, shouldn't you try it? Wouldn't that be expanding your comfort zone?

Although comfort is important, I think the uncomfortable is just as important. Not the "too-tight pants" kind, but the "I'm a little scared and not sure what is going to happen" kind. That kind is exciting, life-changing, freeing. That kind can make your life better, more-fulfilling.

I am turning 30 in a week in a half. And it is scary. Definitely uncomfortable feeling. I am finding wrinkles that I didn't notice a month ago. I am realizing that I am no longer considered a "youth." I now have to check that next age group box at church. When I read magazines, I can no longer skip the section marked "Skincare for your 30s."

But it is exciting too. I can feel a little more confident with who I am. I can try new things and try not worry about "not knowing what I want to do after the kids go to school" because I am sure that I will be satisfied with my life no matter what. I have beautiful, kind children and a loving, supportive husband and a wonderful family and super friends and the knowledge that Jesus loves me. What more could I ask for? Everything else will be like that extra frosting on the cake plate.

So here is to stepping out of your comfort zone but always knowing where your fuzzy blanket is.

Have a beautiful day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog!!! Sandy

Amanda said...

What a fabulous blog! You should be a writer! Hope you had a beautiful day as well!

Krista said...

Excellent points!

(I hate too-tight pants! I always buy my pants too big. Then they slip down...which isn't comfortable either. Maybe I should just wear skirts instead.)

H Noble said...

Beautiful Aimee! I'm experiencing the too-tight clothes too often now, but at least now its for a good reason.

I hear what you're saying though- being comfortable can you leave you lacking for adventure and fun that you could never have guessed!
H