Monday, September 17, 2007

we got our kicks on Route 66

...A giant 66-foot soda pop bottle, over 400+ kinds of soda to choose from, a cafe that apparently had such great food that it was impossible to get a table, a convenient store and a gas station all make for a very unique landmark on old Route 66. Best of all--it was so much fun! We headed to Pops on late Saturday afternoon and although it was too crowded to eat the burgers and fries, we each got to choose our own soda pop. (Although, it is very hard for me to use the word "pop" because I grew up using "coke" for everything. "Do you want a coke? Sure, I will take a Sprite.")


The giant soda pop bottle lights up at night. We'll have to catch that next time. It is only miles from our house you know. And the boys thought we should come back every week. They were that impressed.

Rhett chose root beer for his drink. He first chose Grey's, but after paying for it and opening it, we realized it was diet. Seth and I are totally against diet drinks, especially for kids, so Seth went back in and bought him a Frostie's Vanilla Root Beer. Rhett loved it: It tastes like ice cream!

Different kinds of soda pop line the glass walls of the building. It was pretty amazing really.

Jolt is the drink Noah wanted. Because it has twice as much caffeine as Mountain Dew, we said No Way! He has enough trouble going to sleep as is! :)

So, he chose Jarritos Pineapple soda instead. It is made in Mexico and it tastes just like a pineapple life saver. Yummy! Noah really liked it.

Seth chose Boylan Orange Cream, mostly because it was sweetened with pure cane sugar. Have you ever had an Orange Dreamsicle? If you had, then you know what this tastes like. Not too orangy but very creamy. Seth and I traded half way through our drinks.

Let me tell you why. I chose Stewart's Ginger Beer (a ginger ale) for my drink and while I loved it, after a while, the spicy ginger taste really started burning my throat!! We looked at the ingredients and saw it had Quillaia Extract. We thought this might have something to do with the spiciness. We were right: I found this on the web: Quillaia Extract occurs as a reddish light brown powder or brown liquid, having a characteristic pungent taste. It actually comes from the bark of an evergreen tree native to China. There you go.

And the last picture is of the Sopranos pop. It is an Italian Soda and I liked the color. And what a tribute to that show! :)

We just thought the experience was neat and although we won't be going back every week, like the boys want, we do want to go there again. Good old fashioned fun is what that was. The world needs more of that for sure.

Have a great Monday!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds and looks like a lot of fun! We'll have to try that the next time we are up that way.

Christy

H Noble said...

So jelious...that sounds like a blast of a place. I bet the burgers would have been good too..

J

H Noble said...

I would have had a hard time with the 'pop' aspect of it too! :)

Looks like a lot of fun though! It would be hard to choose just one flavor. We are against diet drinks too. Too many horror stories to make me feel comfortable with what is in them.

H

Allie said...

Looks like fun!!!! hope you're doing well. we miss you in the CG!

Allie said...

PS - it's all coke!!!!! avoid the "pop"!

Amanda said...

What an AWESOME place! How fun! I totally grew up with everything as "coke" glad someone else did!

Krista said...

(Takes a nervous swig of Diet Coke.)

What fun! I now call it all "soda" but it feels funny every time I say it.

Abbey said...

You and Seth have to be the coolest parents! It looks like you had a blast. I want to come along next time!