Monday, March 31, 2008

Horton hears a howling wind

...Late last night or very early this morning, however you want to look at it, the tornado sirens went off and we headed for Rhett's closet for a few minutes. The possibility of a tornado was close but we were lucky. No power outage like 10,000 other Edmond residents and no tornado near us. Now that we have a chance of more severe weather today and throughout the week, I have to say I am thankful that Rhett's classroom is the designated safe room (no windows, heavy doors) and that Noah's school/church has a basement. Heck, they are safer there than here where we have no "tornado" shelter.


Yesterday, my preacher had a sermon titled "Lessons from an Elephant." It was about how we can all find something sacred in secular things. One of his examples was the cross. The cross that Jesus died on was a horrible thing. But because Jesus rose, it is now a wonderful reminder that Jesus died to save us from sin and to give us hope, he rose again. He also showed several clips on the new movie "Horton Hears a Who" and compared Horton to Jesus' humanity. How Jesus is just like us, only without sin. How he is faithful 100%. How he was resented, ostracized and arrested for caring for those that were "invisible" (like women, Samaritans, children). How he risked his life caring, loving, protecting and saving others.

It made me wonder. Did Dr. Suess have Jesus in mind when he wrote about Horton? If he didn't, then why not? I mean, it is a great story and I have always loved it. But now, it holds deeper meaning to me. It is a great reminder of Jesus' love for us.

This morning, while listening to the radio, I heard Cyndi Lauper's song, "Time after Time." Never before had I thought about Jesus while listening to this song, but immediately my thoughts turned to Him this time. I thought of what my preacher said about if I were to die today then would I be happy with my spiritual self enough to live like that forever and ever. My answer is no, of course. I know God has a lot of work to do with me still. But I am not worried because:


If you're lost, you can look and you will find me, time after time.
If you fall, I will catch you. I'll be waiting. Time after time.
Time after time.



Have a good day!
Oh, and I liked this picture of Horton. He looks like we did last night when the tornado sirens went off. :)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not ready to hear that you have had bad weather. Sure wish you had a basement! Take care when you know the weather might be bad. Sandy

Krista said...

I always loved Horton. Never thought about him in quite that way, but it does make sense!