Tuesday, April 15, 2008

on the plus side

...Earth Day is next week. I am already doing some projects for Earth Day that I am excited to share with you. I am really trying to get in a good "green" groove and be more aware of how I can make an impact--both positive and negative.

+I can tell you that these past few weeks, we've only had about 1-2 bags of trash (from the kitchen) a week. The rest we recycle or I put in our "Creative Reuse" box. This box has milk cartons, plastic lids, cartons that held mushrooms or strawberries and paper towel holders. Cardboard is not recycled here in Edmond (or at least they don't allow us to put it in our bin) so reusing it is the way to go. I hope the boys go wild with their imagination.

+I have been saving lint from our dryer. You know, for pillow stuffing....Just kidding!!! Actually, I read that you can stuff lint in toilet paper holders, then cover with newspaper and ta-da--instant fire starters. We have a chimanea, so this will be perfect for this.

+I have been making my own tote bags. Yesterday I made a bag for my friend out of a big, burlap sack that held 50 lbs of rice. My friend bought this rice from an Asian market and gave me a few pounds of it and the bag. (This rice is the best I've ever eaten, by the way. I will never go back to Minute Rice.) Anyway, I found some fabric on sale and with that fabric, I made a lining and straps for the burlap tote. I didn't get a picture of it but it ended up looking rather cute and my friend loved it.

+We have replaced almost all of our lights with CFLs. Only a few rooms left that have regular lights. The problem is--What do you do with all the regular lightbulbs? I have a bucket full of them. I hate to throw them away. Any ideas?

****
-We still take too long in the shower. All of us.

-I can't bring myself to lower my thermostat down to 68 degrees. We have left it at 71 degrees and I still feel cold. And yes, I am wearing a jacket in my house right now.

-We leave the outside lights on all night (for neighborhood safety reasons) but sometimes I forget to turn them off until late afternoon.

-We rely on our cars too much. But we live in a place where neighborhoods are far away from stores and jobs. But I could carpool kids to school and I don't bother to ask anyone.

I think this year, more people than ever will be aware and know the importance of Earth Day. At least I hope. I encourage all of you to do something to celebrate Earth Day next week. Small or large, by yourself or with your kids or family. The best thing we can all do is simplify our lives. Conserve. Protect. Enjoy.

3 comments:

Krista said...

Way to go! It's funny, I was just reading somewhere else about reusing dryer lint.

It's funny about your thermostat. Ours is at 67 in the winter and 77 in the summer -- I know to most people that's way too cold and way too hot, but it always seems fine to me.

Can you use motion-sensor lights outside?

I wish I didn't have to drive so much either, but it's just impossible not to. There is no transit from our town to anywhere else, and no bike routes (not that I have a bike!). It's the thing I feel worst about, eco-wise.

Krista said...

PS -- I not only don't remember being struck by lightning, I don't even remember that you thought I had been!

H Noble said...

Wonderful ideas! I have been reading "Green Housekeeping" by Ellen Sandbeck and its great! I really think you would enjoy it if you haven't read it already. Not only does it explain how to conserve energy and resources, but also how to care for your home and the things in it to make a more healthy environment. Give it a read!
And I love the dryer lint in tp rolls idea! Thanks.
H