Tuesday, December 16, 2008

to Rhett, on his 8th Birthday

Remembering.
The night before your birth, I was nervous you would not want to come out. The move to a new town was just mere days away and I really needed you to come. We went to the hospital and the doctor said he would induce the next day. We called our parents. "No need to come right now" we said. "We would be just fine."

The morning came and the nerves got the best of me. We called back and told our mothers, "Mommy, please come!" The doctor did his thing and we were told to wait. Your daddy was hungry so he went to your favorite restaurant, Subway, and sat down to eat his no-doubt delicious footlong sandwich.

Meanwhile, you decided you were ready. Kind of. I think you thought you were ready and then decided maybe not. Two hours of pushing was not fun for your mom and as we have told you before, the doctor had to use a vacuum attached to your head to pull you out.

I think about your personality and it totally fits you. You get so excited about things, so ready for them to happen and then your nerves hit. Maybe you don't want me to leave you alone at the birthday party. Maybe wanting to be Joseph in the Christmas program was a bad idea.

However, you forge ahead with a little push from us and you shine.

The second you entered the world, your daddy and I started to cry. The new rush of feelings for such a small thing was strange but wonderful. You were beautiful. So much hair, such chubby cheeks. Beautiful.

You changed our lives. We were completely and totally in love with you.

Celebrating.
Today you are 8. I can't believe it. You are supposed to be that little baby that we brought home, so sweet and sleeping so soundly. You hardly cried. Hardly made a fuss. That is so you. You wish to make everyone happy and feel bad when you are angry with us. You do not throw fits and rarely did when you were little.

You are a happy child with many friends. Your friends think you are hilarious. You love this fact. I think you think you are the funniest person you know. Which cracks me up.

You love watching football and want to play in the pros. That is if your parents ever allow you to play.

You know exactly how to push your brother's buttons to make him mad but I know there is no one more loyal than you. Even when you try to goad Noah, you do so half-heartily because you hardly have a mean bone in your body.

You love rules. You hate when people bend or break the rules. Fairness is very important to you.

You are so smart. It frustrates you when you can't get something right away. I think that is why guitar was not for you. You love reading and I just have to let it go that your favorite books right now are the Captain Underpants books.

I love being your mother, Rhett. I love every minute of it. I am so proud of the person you are becoming. I love that you worry about people when they are sick and want to take care of them. I love when you tell a nonsense joke and giggle like it is the funniest thing in the world. I love your hugs and I love that you want to look your best in the morning.

Happy Birthday sweetie. Have a wonderful day.

6 comments:

Krista said...

So sweet. Rhett is a good kid. Happy birthday to him!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to our Rhett. I remember driving to Liberal to see him the day he was born! Scott and I were and still are so excited to have such a wonderful nephew! Your blog is wonderful -Rhett definitely knows how much you love him. Melissa

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Rhett. I remember being the first one to see him and that was so special!

Mom

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Rhett!! 8 years old --- WOW!!

Christy

H Noble said...

That's a wonderful letter and he'll no doubt love it when he's much older. :)
Happy Birthday Rhett!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated Birthday, Rhett! You know what this means, I'll have an 8 year old before long. Your post brought tears to my eyes thinking about how quickly time has flown by from the Liberal/Amarillo/Spring days. :(

~Ginger