Tuesday, December 23, 2008

i want to keep believing...


...My kids saw Santa Claus the other day at our neighborhood Sleigh Ride. They were very happy to sit with him and tell them what they wanted (all things they did not ask for before by the way) but they said he probably was just a helper.

The other day, my mom came to visit and take the boys (and I) to the Nutcracker ballet for their birthday. She drove with my grandparents so they could visit my uncle who lives close by me. Sunday, my uncle brought them back to my house so they could leave with my mom. Anyway, my grandmother was talking about my uncle's step--granddaughter writing a letter to Santa and she asked, "Does she still believe in Santa at 9 years old?". Grandma was sitting right by Rhett and Noah was close by.

My kids didn't bat an eye.

Which begs some questions from me: Are my kids too gullible? Too naive? Trying to hard to keep some magic? Pretending right along with me? Or just not ready to stop believing?

In Rhett's 8 years, he has yet to question the existence of Santa Claus. He has had some questions on how it all works, yes, but never, "Is he real?" He tells of kids in his class that does not believe but he is actually sad for those kids. Will they get presents, he wonders? He truly believes in the magic of it all.

Lately, however, he does have to try harder. It is like I was. His mind was really starting to question things but he doesn't want to address all those doubts quite yet.

He thinks he knows why Santa can get to every house on Christmas Eve, for instance. The earth rotates to the right. Santa travels to the left; therefore, time stops. That is why Christmas Eve is the longest night of the year.

Noah has had questions in the past, but not this year. This year, he just believes. He wants a bell from Santa's sleigh like the child in The Polar Express. He is very worried that he is going to get a jar of tears from St. Nick (like my brother did once but that is not a story Casey likes to remember I bet) and when I get on to him for having a bad attitude right before Christmas he straightens up right away.

Noah is 6. I remember two years ago I thought Rhett's last year of believing was upon us. That is when his cousin that is his same age, stopped believing. But Rhett still believes. And I really think that he will be heartbroken when he finds out the truth of Santa. I actually can see Noah heartbroken as well.

I guess for now, though, we will enjoy Christmas looking through the eyes of a children who still believes in magic with their whole hearts.

Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

Krista said...

Whoa, Rhett is very smart about the turning of the earth and all. I never thought of that!

Mallory is like your boys -- she has a few questions, but she's never asked The Big Question. I've also wondered if she is just naive. I prefer to think that she (and Rhett & Noah) are just True Believers.

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I like Rhett's explanation, too. I prefer to believe that magical things have no explanation - they just happen. It is more fun to believe even if you are the only one who still does.

Mom

H Noble said...

I love that they still believe. That makes Christmas so much more exhilirating and fun for you as a parent as well.

Jared asked if the Santa Eli saw was a real one. I didn't know what Kelly and T had told him so I said, "Well, he looks real to me!" That was good enough for him and he walked away to play. Whew!

Cheryl Wray said...

My middle daughter believed until she was 11!! She held on longer than any of her friends!! Some people may think she's naive, but I tend to believe that she just has more of an imagination than other kids. I think it's a very GOOD thing!! Believe, believe, believe!

(It's great having a 4-y-o in the house. The 12 and 16 year olds just go along with everything Santa. I love it!)

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year!