Tuesday, December 29, 2009

looking back

First:  Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!  We love you!



Second: The first of 2009 I wrote about wanting to rediscover passions, creativity, relationships and my brain.  I wonder how I fared?  Let's look back on this year and I will also point out the highlights.

January:


The first of this year, we celebrated the New Year with my sisters, brother and their kids and our parents. I really love the first day of the year because you know that you have a whole new year ahead of you, full of promise and change.  This picture reminds me of that.  It also reminds me that Rhett, Mallory and Jana were sick that vacation and Rhett and Mallory had stomach issues all through January, but I guess that is life.  Here is hoping this January is better for all. 

February:

It snowed one of the only times that winter in early February and it was enough to miss school for a couple of days, although none of the parents could understand why.  :)  I picked this picture because we went sledding with one of my good friends, Cathy and her children.  Cathy and I became very good friends over the course of the almost three years that she lived here and it was she that made me realize that friends don't have to come in one kind of package.  There are different kinds of friends and she was my "daily talk about nothing but also everything, make me laugh and have fun and just be there" kind of friend.  I miss her dearly since she moved, but when she calls or I email her, it is like nothing has changed.  We still talk like we live right down the street from each other and I love that.

March:

My mom came down in March when Rhett had his hand surgery. Moms are great like that.  No matter how old you get, you still need them.  Rhett was so brave during his surgery and it was the last of the month when he had it, meaning we fretted all month over it.  I think all of us did. No matter what I do with my life, I am a mom first and this situation cemented that for me.  It was hard to do much else or concentrate on much when your child is hurt or has fears and worries.  His fingers are doing quite well now by the way.

April:

This month, I took the boys to meet a children's book author. Tedd Arnold was pretty cool and I love that we experienced that.  My boys love to read and I hope this is something they will always remember.  Just seeing Mr. Arnold draw pictures on the fly (He is the author of Fly Guy, you know) was amazing and made me want to do that.  Not that I did.  Of all things I wanted to "rediscover," creativity ranked low on the list this year.  I did not do much about that this year.  I wanted to but something always came up, ect.  I did do a few things, like make costumes and sew baby presents and helped the boys with their craft projects, but I wanted to do so much more.  I don't know why I didn't.

May:



Noah graduated kindergarten in May.  We did mostly school stuff in May and I was so glad it was summer vacation.  The end of May we went to Friona to celebrate a huge milestone:


65 years is how long my grandparents have been married.  I hope in 54 years, my great-grandchidren are sitting on Seth's and my laps as we celebrate our 65th.  :)  That is a long time, isn't it Seth? One of the things I wanted to rediscover was reasons I liked my husband.  And I did.  This year has been so much fun with him.  We had our ups and downs like all couples do, but I remember mostly the fun I had with Seth.  The effort he made to spend time with us.  The times he made me laugh when I needed it most.  The way he is always there for me and makes me feel special.  I am very lucky.

Very lucky indeed. (This picture is from one of our friend's birthday celebration.  Our friends, Erin and Andy, really helped Seth and I come out of our shells.  They introduced us to people that we call good friends today.  They were the people that we spent all our weekends together.  This year was a wonderful year for new friendships and deepening existing ones.)

June:

Can you believe the only pictures I took in June were pictures of my garden?  But I guess that is okay because I really stepped up and with my family's help, we created a wonderful butterfly garden.  That the bees really, really enjoyed!  We did see some butterflies in the fall but mostly it was the bees.  But I was happy.  I hope next year it is even bigger and better.  Rediscover my passion for the environment?  Check.

Because this has turned into such a long post, I will finish up tomorrow.  See you then.

3 comments:

Krista said...

Looks like a good year! I think that accomplishing even one or two things on your list is great -- probably more than most people do (including me, I'm afraid to even look back!).

Karen said...

I really like your pictures. It does sound like you had a good year. Maybe you used your creativity in a way that you hadn't thought of - like your work with the boys' school.

Mom

Karen said...

I really like your pictures. It does sound like you had a good year. Maybe you used your creativity in a way that you hadn't thought of - like your work with the boys' school.

Mom