Monday, December 28, 2009

a random post for the end of the year

I re-read the last Harry Potter book a few days ago.  By this point, I don't read the entire thing...I like to skip the parts I don't really care too much about.  Anyway, I read it over again because I watched the newest Harry Potter movie on dvd which is Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.  It left me with many questions.  This post is probably only for those who have read the books and/or watched the movies, so I apologize to anyone else. But in case you ever want to read them and still want to read my post (because you are that loyal), then I won't give too much away.

  1. In the book, a seeing mirror was given to Harry Potter by his godfather.  Harry broke it when Sirius died but kept the shards.  The mirror comes back in a major way (to me, at least) in the final book.  BUT, they left the mirror out of the movies completely.  How are they going to work that out?
  2. Tonks and Remus fall in love and eventually get married in the books.  Again, they left their relationship out of the latest movie.  Are they going to ignore it or find a way to put it in? 
  3. Bill, Ron's brother, was not in the Half-Blood Prince movie at all, although something life-changing happened to him in the book.  And he is a part of an important plot point in the last book.  Why did they leave that part out in the movie?  And how are they going to explain his changed appearance in the final movie, if they are at all?
  4. The more I watched the Half-Blood Prince, the more disappointed I was in it.  They essentially made it to be a teenagers have hormones movie.  They cut out a huge action sequence (the fight at Hogwarts and the end)  and added something I didn't understand (the fire at the Weasley's house).  Ok, this isn't a question, just a complaint. 
For those who have followed Harry, what do you think?  Am I being too critical?  Are there any questions you want answered?  Any major holes you see?  And for those who don't follow Harry, check back tomorrow and I'll have some pictures.  Not of Harry Potter. 

5 comments:

Krista said...

Here's what I've read about the points you've brought up --

They left the battles out of Part 6 because they're going to do the big Battle in Deathly Hallows part 2, and didn't want to repeat themselves (which is a lame excuse to me). They put the Weasley fire in as a replacement for the battle, but I found it pretty lame too, especially because no one ever mentioned it after it happened. (eg Ron never said what a bummer it was that his house burned down).

They are going to have Bill & Fleur weddings at the beginning of DH, but I don't think Bill is going to be a werewolf. I'm not sure what they're going to do with Remus and Tonks -- they might leave out their relationship altogether, but then what about Harry being Teddy's godfather?

The mirror bugs me too -- I don't know how they're going to work that out. That's one of those things that could've been slipped in very easily -- like explaining the origins of the Marauder's Map in Part 3 -- but they didn't, and now they're going to have to change more things to make the ending make sense.

I didn't much like the HPB movie too much after I started thinking about it. Like you said, too much teenage love stuff and not enough wizard stuff.

Sorry, this is a huge comment. Can you tell I've thought about this way too much?

aimee said...

Hey, I am glad I am not the only one sis. :)

Karen said...

I agree with your points. I also missed being at Hogwarts, meaning that so much of the atmosphere of the books are Hogwarts and that was missing from HBP. The talking portraits, etc. just were not there.

I think that it is going to be very difficult to do the last film with all of the holes that were in HBP without going back and filling in. Since DH is going to be in 2 parts anyway, I think that there will be huge parts that are just left out.

I saw HBP twice and it was the least satisfying of the series for me. I hope that DH is better, but I have some reservations about it. I'm like Krista, I've thought about this way too much!

Anonymous said...

Okay --- I'm going to put myself out there & confess that I have never read the books OR watched the movies! Yep, my JH kids are shocked....there are still a few who I find reading the novels thoughout the year. Suprisingly, they encourage me to just read the books.

Christy

Krista said...

Oh, and Aimee -- I reread the books periodically too, but I can't bring myself to skip anything EXCEPT anything having to do with Grawp. I can do without Grawp entirely.