Friday, September 19, 2008

awareness and consumerism

...I have been thinking a lot about the environment lately, and my lack of helping it. I have really fallen short of a lot of goals for myself about becoming "green." So the other day, I bought a book to help me get back on track.

It was a great book filled with great tips and advice, plus some scary insights on what we put on and in our bodies. But most of all, it has inspired me to get back on the green bandwagon. Sophie Ulian, the author, gives resources, advice and most of all, lets everyone know that it doesn't matter what you do to help, even if you choose one thing, because every little thing helps. Even just being aware of what we do and what is bad for us is a first step. Believe me, I will no longer buy toothpaste with FD&C Blue 1 in it because that is a coal tar-based dye and that is a known carcinogen.

I want to tell you the first thing I have decided to do and what I am making my family do. Lately, I have noticed that when I go shopping, I buy things just for the sake of buying them. If I want new towels, I will get them because one, they are fairly cheap and two, I have become so wrapped up in consumerism that I have forgotten how to wait for things.

This isn't good.

What kind of example am I showing Rhett and Noah? That when you want something to go ahead and get it instead of waiting for a special occasion? That you should go ahead and get it even though it may be not what you really want in the long run? To keep adding to our piles of stuff at home?

So Seth and I made a decision. No more buying stuff just because we want it. If we see something we want or desire, I made some little wish list books (reusing paper we already had by the way) so we can write those items down. Then when it is time to buy ourselves a little treat (because let's face it, there are times we do deserve them) we pick something small from our wish list. When it is time for birthday and Christmas, we pick those things we really like. Maybe we will see that some of those things weren't things we really wanted in the long run. I love this idea. My kids have no idea what it is like to look forward to something. That is my fault. But we are changing that right now. Consumerism will not have a hold of me anymore. (Yes, I am aware that in New York, all I did was buy things but I am forgiving myself for that because it was vacation and it was fun). :)

It isn't going to be easy. I told Seth I may have to avoid going to Target because that store tempts me. But I am trying to help myself by thinking that maybe if I wait to buy towels I won't have to get the cheap ones. I can save for the really nice organic cotton or bamboo towels. Same thing for sheets or even clothes.

I feel good about this. Seth feels good about this especially since the economy has taken a downward spiral. Noah took this hard but he'll be okay. Rhett loved the idea. So 3 out of 4 isn't bad. :)

***
Also, Krista and I found these really cool candy wrapper bags at the M&M store in New York. They were so cute but they cost around $90 and above. Well, I found out how to make them! It won't be easy, but I am going to try. The one pictured below is from Nahui Ollin's collection. I will let you know how it goes. And Krista, if it looks as good as the one below, I'll send it to you!
Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Krista said...

Yeah, I was kind of thinking along these lines when I went into FAO Schwarz and realized that there was almost nothing in that store that my kids didn't already have in some variation or another. How pathetic.

(Now is not the time to discuss the brand new camera I bought this afternoon. Ahem.)

Amanda said...

Sounds like an AWESOME book! I will totally have to check it out! Good luck with your goals :)