Wednesday, May 13, 2009

fragile or unlucky?

...Last night, the wind blew so hard, I thought trees were going to come through our windows. I guess it is a good thing there aren't that many trees close to our house. Today, however, I noticed an alarming site: a huge Bradford Pear tree was down in our neighborhood. How close it was to crashing into the house it lived by. Scary. Also, what is wrong with Bradford Pear trees? Why is it they are always the ones to come crashing down? I wonder because that is the kind of tree that is in my front yard. I don't want to look out one day and see it lying on the ground, broken and sad.

2 comments:

Krista said...

We had four Bradford pears when we moved into our house...now we have two and a half. They are not good trees; but apparently they're cheap and fast-growing, which is why builders plant them in new neighborhoods.

JNoble said...

The famous North Texas gardner Neil Sperry says that noone should plant a bradford pear. They are very weak wood. I think people plant them because the grow fast, get to be a pretty round tree and have all the beautiful white flowers in early spring. I loved them till I heard his advice and saw the results of a DFW thunderstorm with three of them. So Sad...