Wednesday, May 27, 2009

It's coming

...National Pollinator Week is June 22-28, 2009. A while ago, I sent a letter to the governor of Oklahoma and asked him to declare "Oklahoma Pollinator Week." Well, a week ago, I received a letter and a proclamation that he did indeed do this. Now, I am not naive in thinking it was just because of my letter...I am sure their were many letters (or I hope) and he might have already been planning on doing this...but it still was exciting.

So far, there are 39 states celebrating this week as National Pollinator Week. My hope is that everyone does something that week to help "celebrate." The button on the left of my blog links back to a website that has suggestions and events in various states. Since none are planned in Oklahoma yet, I am going to have to come up with something on my own. I will fill you in when I have thought of something. I do know that I am going to make sure my kids are aware and I will be doing something everyday with them.

As it gets closer to June 22, I will try to post links to articles and ways to help. I am just trying to do my part.

On the same subject, my butterfly garden is ready for butterflies! The only thing lacking is a milkweed plant, which I am having trouble finding. But we have flowers of all kinds that bloom at different times in the summer. We have a waterhole filled with composted dirt and when butterflies start showing up, I will place a couple of very ripe bananas there as well. We have rocks that will be a perfect place for butterflies to sun themselves. We have already seen many bees on our flowering trees. Now if I could find a way to keep some of those neighbor kids to leave them alone, we will be all set. (One kid thinks catching bees is great fun. It just makes me mad and worried he'll get stung).

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I was working outside this morning and saw several bees around my Russian sage plants and my salvias.

Mom

Anonymous said...

That was a milkweed the boys brought in the house and you guys yelled at to get it out of the house.

Dad