Monday, March 28, 2011

i really love my two goofballs

I took this about a month ago.  I took several pictures of them and believe it or not, this is the only one that they are both smiling a little.  The others they are making funny faces or pouting (Noah) or I can see pink gum (Rhett).  Yes, they are goofing around but don't they look adorable doing it? :)

If I can ever get us up and around on a Saturday, I would love to take some family shots in our living room.  With the light coming in from the windows, it really is beautiful.  Maybe someday.

I'm cold today.  I haven't recovered from this weekend where we sat in 35 degree weather watching Rhett's baseball tournament.  Every two minutes, Noah would say, "I really wish we could go right now."  And I would say, "I know.  Me too."  But still we sat, huddled underneath a blanket and freezing our you know what's off.  I am beginning to think Mother Nature doesn't like baseball. 

Speaking of cold, the ice cream experiment is a breeze.  hee hee.  Seriously, so easy.  All you need is:

1 gallon size freezer bag
1 quart size storage bag
3 cups of ice
3/4-1 cup of ice cream salt
1/4 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
1/4 t vanilla


1.  Add the sugar, milk, cream and vanilla in the quart storage bag.  Seal securely.
2. Put 3 cups of ice into the gallon storage bag.  Add 3/4 to 1 cup of salt to the bag of ice.
3. Place the sealed quart bag inside the gallon bag and seal the gallon bag securely.
4. Gently rock the gallon bag from side to side for 10-15 minutes or until the contents of the quart bag have solidified into ice cream.
5. Remove the quart bag, open it and serve!

You might want to wear gloves for this.  The bag gets really cold! Also, make sure the quart bag is sealed, otherwise your ice cream will taste salty.  One boy had really salty ice cream, but he ate it anyway. Blech.

The experiment was too see if the temperature of the ice got colder or warmer when salt was added to it.  It really is kind of cool (forgive all the puns) to test it out. 

The ice cream didn't get too hard but the kids liked it that way.  They used straws and had milkshakes. 

I think I'll do this with my kids this summer because it was so easy.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Cute picture. What a fun experiment! I might have wanted to be a scientist if we had done experiments like that when I was in elementary school.

Krista said...

This looks like a good Brownie meeting activity to me...thanks!