Tuesday, March 01, 2011

No school Friday and other stuff

As a mom who has spent the large part of February with her children, stuck inside because of snow, and knows that Spring Break is in two weeks, I am a little confused.  Friday, the boys have no school for "optional" school conferences.  How about they use that day.  We have six days to make up!!

Ugg.

(By the way, Uggs are still my favorite shoes ever.)

But enough complaining.  Here's a highlight of what's been going on:

Me:


I bought a couple of art books last week from Amazon and I am so excited to get started on a couple of projects.  I've always wanted to learn screen printing and I've been dreaming about making curtains from fabric that isn't boring but can't find what I want.  So, I thought, why don't I make my own design?  Sounds like a big project but hopefully, these books will help.  I'm going to start small and try some pillows first.  I'll keep you updated on my progress. 

Project 365 is going...not well.  I'm going to call February a wash and hopefully in March I will prove more successful. 

Noah:

He is a mess.  And I mean that in the best possible way a mom could when talking about her child.  We went to two birthday parties in the past two weeks and he had a terrible time at both.  The first one was a bowling party and we showed up late, so that is probably one reason he didn't have fun.  The rest of the kids were halfway through the game and he likes winning.   Then we went to a roller skating party and I thought he would have a blast.  I loved roller skating parties when I was younger!!  Alas, Noah did not.  He cried.  He fell.  He cried some more.  I even laced some roller skates on and skated with him.  He didn't crack a smile once.  Other kids were falling around us and popping back up, laughing.  Noah would fall and stay there, thinking his wrist was broken.  It was awful. 
This morning, he said something about how he missed another classmate's birthday party that was this past Saturday.  "Why?" he wanted to know.  I told him because he was miserable the last two times we went to a party.  "Oh, yeah.  Sorry about that."  Yeah, me too.

He also had a research paper on Franklin D. Roosevelt that is due today.  He never had to bring it home but because he missed working on it one day last week because of a trip to the nurse (sigh), he brought it home last night.  He had to write 10 sentences.

"Do you want to know more about Franklin Rosevelt? Then keep reading." 

He wrote about his birth, who he got married to and his death.  That about covered it. I bit my tongue trying not to say anything. 

But, I do have a couple of positive things to say about him.  He has finally found a book that he loves and it is a chapter book.  His teacher wants him to read more challenging books besides the comic books he so enjoys, but he always found them boring.  Rick Riordan's Red Pyramid provides just the right amount of excitement for him, I guess.

He also has one more basketball game and then we'll be done for the season.  I think he enjoyed himself.  He has learned how to screen for his teammates (even getting a bruised lip in the process) and last week scored 4 points.  He wants to play golf next so his awesome uncle is going to give him a couple of lessons over Spring Break.  I also said that I would, gulp, try to find out if he can start drum lessons.  I know!  But he has been asking forever and that may be a good thing to do over the summer.  Yes, I am just asking for it.

This has turned into a much larger post than I thought so I think I will stop for now.  Tomorrow I will write about Rhett and who is going to be for 4th grade's Living Wax Museum.  Pretty exciting stuff!

3 comments:

Karen said...

No school Friday does sound a little strange when they have so much to make up!

I used to want to learn to do screen printing too. I don't why I never did.

Anonymous said...

Ditto on the day off...weird.

I was so happy to read a long post! Funny about the bday parties -- roller skating did bring back memories of our 5th (?) grade trip to the roller rink. I do believe I have pictures!

Christy

Krista said...

Noah and Mallory are alike in many ways. I'm sorry for us both. :)