Wednesday, March 02, 2011

a post that's all about Rhett

I think Rhett is the luckiest person I know.  He is the one who always finds the quarters on the ground, much to his brother's dismay.  The other day, we were at Blockbuster looking for Megamind.  The section it was supposed to be in showed it was out. But as we were looking around, he found a copy in a section where you can buy movies.  Apparently, someone had it and changed their mind.  Who knows but it was no surprise that Rhett found it.  If it were just me looking, I would have gone home empty-handed.  He is cool like that.

He has officially started baseball.  His first tournament is this weekend.  He pitches and yesterday, played 2nd base in a scrimmage.  (I didn't stay and watch.  I figure I will make it up with the many, many games on the way).  Honestly, I don't love watching baseball.  I love watching Rhett though.  Seth and I both hope though that his nerves and worrying don't suck the fun out of it for him.  Because he does love baseball right now.  And he does really well when he relaxes and just goes with it. 

Monday, the 4th Grade students are turning into "living wax figures" from history.  The people they represent must have contributed to society somehow.  Rhett chose Chuck Yeager.  He is the man who broke the sound barrier in case you forgot.  In preparation for this day, we watched The Right Stuff, read some of an autobiography on Yeager, and he is now in the process of memorizing a speech that includes a quote from Yeager himself:  "The secret to my success was that somehow I always managed to live to fly another day."   I didn't let Rhett know that after his first wife died of ovarian cancer in 1990, he went on to marry a much younger woman and that 3 of his 4 children sued for financial reasons.  He basically disowned them, which is totally sad and disheartening.

I am going to take some pictures of my tulips that are peeking out of the ground.  I sure hope that Spring is on its way because they sure think its time.  I've never grown tulips before so I was pretty excited to see the tiny shoots. 

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My tulips still haven't come up yet! They are in a bit of shade, so it may have to warm up some more.

Be sure & take pics of Rhett in uniform and in action!

CHristy

Krista said...

Rhett is a very cool kid.