Friday, December 07, 2007

my December boys


...In a little more than a week my sons are going to have a birthday party. At our house. I have no idea what I'm going to do for cakes. For treat bags. (And when did it become law that we had to give out treat bags? When I was a child, I went to a birthday party expecting nothing else but cake, maybe ice cream and a thank you note for the gift if lucky. Now I hear children complain if there is no treat bag. It is appalling really.)

I may sound stressed and I will be until I get the cake thing figured out but, really, I love that their birthdays are so close together. I also love that they are December babies. I loved that after having Rhett, he spent his first Christmas in his striped red and white outfit sleeping the whole day surrounded by his new stuffed animals. I loved that a day after bringing Noah home from the hospital, Seth and I left the boys with their uncle and aunt and we went shopping for his First Christmas ornament. I loved that on Rhett's 5th birthday, it snowed, even if we were in the part of Texas that hardly gets snow. He was so excited. I loved that we got to have Noah's first birthday at my parents' house surrounded by his cousins that were there for Christmas.

In a little more than a week my oldest will turn 7 and my baby will be 5.

6 comments:

H Noble said...

Its hard to believe how fast time goes, isn't it? Beautiful memories though! Good luck with the cake, and I think Christmas is the perfect season to teach that quality time with friends is not about receiving a treat bag! ;)
H

Sherry said...

They grow up so quickly!! Loot bags...I remember giving a small basket with a few candies in it at my birthday parties, and I did loot bags for my boys but tried to keep it "simple". Some people go WAY over and it seemed to end up a competition for loot bag "loot". It's not about the party, it's about "what do I get at the end"!! Anyway Aimee, happy planning and whatever you do for a cake I know it will be a hit with the boys!

Anonymous said...

I loved being there for Rhett's first birthday. I can remember all of it and I know that you will make his 7th birthday just as special!

Christy

Krista said...

I remember getting "the call" about Noah right after Mom & Dad picked me, Chris, and Mallory up from the airport, when we came home for Xmas that year. Then we waited the whole next day for Seth to email a picture!

Good luck with the cakes!

Anonymous said...

I remember all of that too, and it is so amazing that the time has gone so quickly! Rhett should still be the sweet baby who had this huge grin on his face every time that he saw me. And Noah should still be the cuddly little boy that I could hold and squeeze.
Just goes to show that we should treasure every minute of the present - both good and bad.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey! Aimee! Your post brought tears to my eyes! I remember that pic of Rhett and Noah so well. What special memories... Can you believe they will be 5 and 7???? Peyton's birthday is on Thursday! It breaks my heart! They grow up much too quickly! Enjoy them and don't sweat the cakes! You are such a good cook and quite creative! Can't wait to see pics! Take care!