Wednesday, December 05, 2007

stop and...

...It is easy to get stressed during the holiday season. I saw the beginning of a news story last night that began with a man saying that more people now dread Christmas coming than are excited about it. I, too, can get caught up in the materialism, the "I gotta bake those cookies for our neighbors!", the decorating, finding the perfect gift, ect. Sometimes it is good to take a step back and just enjoy the season:

*Drive around and look at the Christmas lights. Try to find Griswold's house.
*Make a batch of cookies just for your family.
*Tell your kids about any special ornaments you have.
*Let your kids wrap some presents and just look away when they use a whole roll of tape for one gift.
*Sing Christmas carols at the top of your lungs.
*Teach your kids other versions of "Jingle Bells" (Batman Smells versions is a favorite around here)
*Let your kids give you one more hug, even if they were supposed to be asleep an hour ago. :)

3 comments:

Sherry said...

What a blessed list!!! I especilly like singing at the top of your lungs, using all the tape (!!) and one more hug..there is ALWAYS time for one more hug!! xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

The low key Christmas is for me this year. I just can't seem to get too excited about all the work involved--less is better. I was thinking about the "business function" you and Seth went to a few years ago. We really enjoyed looking at the lights with the boys even though Noah wasn't too happy Mom and Dad were gone.

H Noble said...

Those are the things that make Christmas special, and remembering just why we celebrate it in the first place. But as I sit here with my snowflake socks and Santa earrings on, and contemplate whether I'm going to have peppermint mocha or just a vanilla latte at Starbucks when we head out shopping this afternoon, I find nothing to frown about today!
And Griswold is just over a few streets from us- he even has a sign in his yard that says 'Griswold'!
Holly