Tuesday, August 19, 2008

the night before

...You knew it was coming. I know those who know me knew it was coming. The night before school starts post where I reflect on how fast time goes. Where I tear up and wish for my boys to be little again. For just a moment.

The first day of school is tomorrow. Noah starts Kindergarten. All summer, I told myself, "It is only half-day." Tonight it is a big deal. How can my baby be old enough to ride the bus home from school? He has been looking forward to riding the bus for two long years. How did that two years pass so quickly? Noah has been looking forward to going to Rhett's school. He has wanted this so badly. So how can I wish to hold on to him and not let him go?

Rhett is going to be a 2nd grader. Gosh, I remember 2nd grade so clearly. How can I be the parent of a 2nd grader? He already feels big because I am impressing on him to watch out for his little brother. He already thinks he knows more than his mom and dad.

These are just stepping stones of a path that leads them, well, away from me. Which is a wonderful thing. And a terrible thing.

So yeah. You probably knew this post was coming. But I hope you know that I am also proud. I am also happy. I am also excited.

And very, very grateful.

I am their mama.

****
PS-Pop, we thought about you today! We'll give you a call Wednesday evening. Happy Birthday!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And before you turn around twice, you will be the Grandmom of a couple of second graders, a first grader, a kindergartener, and three pre-schoolers!

Mom

Krista said...

Wow, I remember that one of your very first blog posts was about Rhett starting kindergarten...where did that time go?

Good luck to both of your boys -- and to you too!

Anonymous said...

Your post brings tears to my eyes! I'm dreading Monday!! My parents are coming to visit this weekend, so I'll be distracted! Thank goodness! Take care, Aimee! BTW, we're not going to know what to do with ourselves with all the time on our hands! It will be so strange to find ourselves again!

Love,
Ginger