Monday, August 04, 2008

not only a fruit

...This weekend, the boys' Nana and Pop came to visit. We ate out a few times and everytime we did, Noah ordered a cheeseburger. I think this weekend he had a cheeseburger for every meal except breakfast. He even had one today because he had a playdate and we went to McDonald's.

We also have been having many sweets. And just eating a lot. It is hot here. What else is there to do except stay in and eat?

Tonight I decided we needed to eat a little healthier. I made barbecue chicken, corn on the cob and for dessert, watermelon and grapes.

Rhett gets to the table first. "Ooh, watermelon. Can I have one?"
me: No, eat your chicken and corn first. The watermelon is for dessert.
R: What?
me: The fruit is for dessert.
R: Why?
me: Because it is sweet and delicious and good for you.
R: Oh.

Noah gets to the table finally. The same conversation happens.
N: Watermelon for dessert! That is not dessert!
me: Fruit can be dessert!

Honestly, I feel embarrassed that my kids are so used to getting sweet yummies for dessert that eating a healthy dessert is foreign, almost crazy, to them. I made a decision though. Fruit for dessert will happen more often in this house.

Now if only I can get Noah to eat something besides cheeseburgers when we go out...

1 comment:

Krista said...

Phoebe had french fries for about five meals in a row this weekend. At least cheeseburgers have a little bit of protein in them! There's nothing redeemable about fries.