Friday, February 20, 2009

my true fish story

...When did it become Friday? Seriously, this week has flown by. With no school on Monday, catching up on housework on Tuesday, getting a new aquarium set up on Wednesday and Thursday...

What? What did I say?

Yes, I had to get a new aquarium. Here's the scoop. I know you are dying to know!

So, lately my little ole 10 gallon aquarium was aquiring algae. It would grow on the glass and the rocks and so I would clean it all up (the last time I did a major clean, which means I changed 70% of the water, removed the three ever-growing koi/gold fish from their home into a bowl-not a pleasant job-and scrubbed the glass with a towel) and then I would get frustrated because nary a week later, I would see algae again. So, on Wednesday, Noah and I trucked down to our pet store where we were going to buy a bottom feeder.

Uh, no.

Instead, I was informed by a knowledgable salesperson that my tank was way to small for the poopiest fish in the world who would all just keep growing and did she mention that her mom had bought 3 or 4 of those koi fish and a 20 gallon tank two years ago and she had to release them into a pond because they are now over a foot long? Interesting.

It is interesting because when we bought the fish (from Wal-mart, will never make that mistake again) and our 10-gallon aquarium plus our 6 fish and 2 ghost shrimp, the apparently unknowledgable salesperson told us that fish would only get as big as their surroundings. But 3 dead fish later and also armed with information from the internet and the pet store person, I am thinking now that he was really wrong.

Anyway, so now with the information that my fish needed a bigger home, I went ahead and bought a 20-gallon tank. All day Wednesday, I set it up and now my fish are happily swimming in their new spacious abode.

Oh and today, we are going back to the store and getting a bottom feeder. And maybe a frog that lives underwater. Guess who wanted that one?

The next time my fish outgrow their home, it is to a pond they go. And then we will get very small, no-pond in their future fish.

In closing, did I ever think that a year ago, when we decided to get a small aquarium and a few fish would lead to this? Not at all. But that is okay. A committment is a committment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh fun! I personally love having fish -- we did at home when we were kids. Casey & I thought that fish might be something Connor would like, but no koi - -got it! Live & learn! At least Seth didn't come home to find you digging out a pond in the back yard! : )

Christy

Krista said...

I found fish to be far more complicated than I ever imagined! Good for you for doing what you can to make them happy!

H Noble said...

Oh, how I wish you were closer and wanted a 40 gallon tank! We just sold ours on Craig's list b/c I hated the maintenance and refused to move the heavy giant to Lubbock. Hope you enjoy your aquarium much more than I ever did!