Wednesday, February 11, 2009

yesterday was an...interesting day to say the least


[from the AP]

...I found this picture on Yahoo this morning. It is Oklahoma City yesterday afternoon. I wish I could tell you I got some interesting pictures, but I was too busy hiding in my neighbor's bathtub with Rhett, who was sick at home, my friend and her two dogs. It was so much fun we did it twice.

During the spring, I get prepared for tornadoes. I have lived all my life in areas where tornadoes were a threat. Even when we lived in Houston, there was a tornado warning a couple of times (The first time being the day we bring Noah home from the hospital. A newborn, a two year old and two frazzled parents in a small closet does not a happy homecoming make.) As I was saying, I get ready for them. I get a bag, fill it with snacks, water, a first-aid kit, a flashlight and a radio.

But I don't get prepared in February. Which is why yesterday was so interesting.

Because Rhett was having strange symtoms (dizziness) I called the doctor for an appointment (check that: Seth made me call the doctor for an appointment). After getting off the phone with the doctor's office, I look outside. It is getting dark and gloomy outside. While calling my friend to see if she could watch for Noah to get off the bus because we would probably still be at the doctor's, I turn the tv on to see if we would be getting thunderstorms. Our weather coverage is ridiculously on top of things all the time so I knew I could get some information.

However, I was shocked to see TORNADO WARNING for my county on the tv. I quickly told my friend. She is from Hawaii and I am sure she is ready to get back there, especially after yesterday. Anyway, a few minutes later, my father-in-calls. Apparently, CNN picked up the story and he saw that Edmond, Oklahoma was having a tornado. He called to check on us. Very sweet but I kind of got a little worried then. Why would this be on a national news channel unless it was serious?

Because this is getting a little long here is the rest in quotes:

Me, getting panicky after hearing our tornado sirens go off:
"Rhett grab all your pillows and throw them in your closet!"

My sweet neighbor calling for the 2nd time:
"Aimee, it's at Mitch Park! Come over here and we can get in my bathtub!"

Me, stopping in mid-run to my neighbor's house to ask the UPS man still delivering packages:
"Do you have somewhere you can go to be safe?"

UPS man, looking at me like I was crazy:
"Nah, it is west of here. We'll be okay."

Rhett, concerned about Noah, at school, which was in lock-down:
"Do you think he is okay?"

Rhett, complaining when we had to get in the bathtub a 2nd time:
"Aww, do you we have to get in that crammy place again?"

Me, calling another neighbor, who is also the PTA president:
"How do we get our kids from school?"

Me, telling the school secretary around 4:30pm:
"Yes, I need to get 4 kids, all from my neighborhood."

Noah, running to me:
"Finally! Why did it take you so long to come get me?"

When we finally got home and the worst was over, (a tornado hit a few miles west of my neighborhood, so we were lucky) I still wanted to make Seth's birthday dinner and dessert. I was disappointed in the result but Seth at least pretended he liked everything.

Me, telling Seth at the end of his special day:
"Now you can say there was the first tornado of the season 'on your birthday,' isn't that neat?"

:)

Have a great day.

1 comment:

Krista said...

Oh, yikes, I had no idea this was going on. (I didn't watch any TV last night at all.) I'm glad you were all safe. Your quotes are funny now, but I'm sure it didn't seem funny at the time.