Tuesday, February 03, 2009

it truly is the small things


...About a month or so before Christmas, we went into Old Navy where Noah found this bear in the photo. The bear was by the cash registers and was joined by his fellow look-a-like bears and also bunnies and dogs. Noah fell in love with the bear. He wanted it right then and just couldn't understand why he couldn't have it. I told him maybe for Christmas.
Well, as you can see, Santa delivered. I didn't realize how excited Noah was until I was looking at recent pictures. I stopped at this one and really looked at his face. I could just tell he was thinking, "Oh my gosh! My bear! How did Santa know!"
The bear, who has not been named yet, is in Noah's bed. Sometimes he is forgotten because of Noah's large collection of other stuffed animals. But I take it out at night and lay it by Noah and he sometimes gives it a quick hug.
You may be wondering why on earth did "Santa" give Noah this bear if he was just going to be nameless and forgotten.
Well, I, er, I mean Santa, did it for me. Growing up, I had many bears. I loved them, wrote their names on the tags and remembered how I got them and who they were from. Ask me now and I could probably tell you several of my stuffed animal names right now. (I won't because it might bore you). So when Noah wanted this bear, I, I mean San-oh who am I kidding- knew I had to get it for him. Maybe someday he will look at this bear and remember how he wanted it and on Christmas morning, there it was! Like magic. By then, Noah will know it was me but doesn't that make it just as special? Won't he see that I listened and really heard him?
I hope so. I hope he sees that I just wanted to surprise him and make him happy for a moment. And I know that he was happy. This picture is proof.
I am telling this story because it is one of those weeks. My "I am a good mom" jar is running low and I need little reminders to fill it again.
Have a good day.

3 comments:

Krista said...

You are definitely a good mom. And I do things like that too -- buying unnecessary stuffed animals, I mean -- because sometimes, you just want them to be happy.

H Noble said...

You are a wonderful mom!! This is an excellent example, but all of the things you do every single day show how much you love your family. And here's a hug from me...
[hug] to let you know I love you!
:)

Anonymous said...

Aimee, what mom has done both things you did--not really pay attention to all their complaints and buy them something as my mom used to say "just because". Don't beat yourself up over being a normal mom. You do so many great things for them--mainly just being yourself and loving them so much. Sandy