Tuesday, February 24, 2009

our 2-week and beyond challenge

...Last night I wanted to scream, "It's not fair!!" just like I did when I was younger and Casey or my sisters got to do something and I didn't.

But this time it wasn't about me. It is about Rhett.

The zantac is not working for his acid reflux. Yesterday, the doctor gave him something stronger. Nexium.

At first, I was okay with that. Then the longer I thought about it and the more I looked up information on the internet, the more I just...wasn't okay.

So we are making some changes.

First, no more pills. At least until we try out some other things. I am not going to ignore the fact that he has acid reflux and I am not going to make him suffer, but if we can help him naturally, then that is what we are going to do.

Second, whole, healthy food only. I have read enough books to know what is good for our bodies and what is not. Armed with that knowledge, I am going shopping and coming back only with those foods that have 5 ingredients or less and do not have a shelf life of forever.

Third, lots of smoothies and juicing. I read that carrot juice works wonders on acid reflux sufferers, so this morning, I made fresh carrot juice and added half an apple and sprinkled a little pumpkin pie spice. I made Rhett drink 4 oz. and although he didn't like it, he did it. Actually, it wasn't too bad. The only thing is the aftertaste. It tastes like you just ate 8 carrots all at once. Which, essentially, you did. But I think we will all get used to it and even start enjoying it. (I am staying positive)

Fourth, lots more yogurt. Thinking back, this all started after he got a stomach virus and strep throat. I don't know if that even has anything to do with it, but maybe the bad bacteria overtook the good bacteria and then all the bacteria got killed and now his digestion system is way out of whack. He needs more probiotics (found in yogurt) to help even things out.

Fifth, more alkalizing food. Did you know we need to eat about 80% alkaline foods and only 20% acidic foods? Did you know that we probably don't? It just means more veggies, lots more veggies, less everything else.

Sixth, more reading. There are lots of books about naturally healing your acid reflux. I am waiting for the books to come in at the library at the moment (I figured that would take just as long as me ordering them from Amazon) and then I am going to read, read, read.

Seventh, bracing myself for the complaining. I know it isn't going to be easy. Not for Rhett, not for anyone. (Because if Rhett has to do it, we all do it). However, we all will feel better in the end, whether this helps Rhett's acid reflux or not.

If it doesn't, then I'll be more willing to have Rhett try the medicine.

Just to make things clear--I am not knocking the medical community or doctors or even the drugs they prescribe. If Rhett was my age or older, I probably wouldn't even think twice about him taking those drugs (and it really wouldn't be my decision anymore would it?). But he is only eight years old. I just can't make him take these drugs without trying something else first. Especially when the doctor (love her, she is very smart and lovely) says that there is not yet a study on what would happen if kids are put on long-term acid medicine. Surely, there is something else that will help him. Please pray with me that there is.

And if you have any ideas, feel free to comment. I welcome them.

And if you ever come visit, I'll fix you a carrot juice on the house. :)

Wish all of us luck.

4 comments:

The Taylor Family said...

You all are in our prayers. Lance deals with pretty bad acid reflux (sporadically) and Gracelyn had it for her 1st year of life. I did the Zantac thing and it worked for her, but I agree & support your decision 100%. Why not try everything else first. If it doesn't work...the medicine will still be there.

Anonymous said...

If there are no long-term studies about the effects of that med on kids, then you are 100% right to try other things. You can always give him the medicine if nothing else works, but if there is a serious side effect, you may not be able to undo it. Good luck.

Mom

Krista said...

Good luck, and good for you for going the extra mile to make sure he gets the very best! You are a true mama bear!

H Noble said...

You are a good mama. I agree with you and think you are right on target for doing what's best for your son. I don't have any further advice, but I hope it goes well and the changes will benefit you all. Hope it makes a difference in Rhett really soon!