Tuesday, December 19, 2006

merry and bright days

...This will probably be a long post. I have a lot to share and this will probably be my last post before Christmas so let's get started.

First...here are the birthday boys, being silly. They look so grown-up compared to the baby pictures of the two that I shared in the previous posts, don't they?

The birthday party was a big success! I think everyone had a great time, save the child who got sick and had to go home early. Poor kid, he was so sad that his dad made him leave. :)


Hopefully, you can tell from the pictures that Rhett had a Spongebob cake and Noah had a Superman cake. I actually made these by myself and although, if you looked close at Superman, his face was messed up, I think they turned out pretty well. Not something I plan to do every birthday but at least I can say I did it once.

And since we had a party on Rhett's birthday, on Noah's we went to the movie Charlotte's Web. It was fantastic! So, so good. Such a sweet movie about friendship, promises and love. I felt like a kid again. And, of course, I cried. (The following contains a spoiler so if you have never read or watched this or ever heard about it, then I am warning you: Don't read if you don't want to know what happens!) During the movie, Noah looked at me and said, "Why are you crying?" I told him it was sad and he hugged me. Sweet kid. Then at dinner, Nana and Pop called to wish him a happy birthday and he had me tell them that I cried during the movie. Apparently, he thought it was funny or weird. Rhett asked when did I cry and I told him when Charlotte died. I asked, "Didn't that make you sad?" He said, "No, it made me happy. I knew she was with God."
Whoa. Talk about perspective. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I have two amazing kids.
_______________________________

On Friday night, my mom (who came for the party) and I went to see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. If you haven't seen this group or heard of it, then you need too. It was an amazing lightshow full of wonderful music and fabulous singers . This is something I can take my husband and kids too and they would enjoy it. And it is even more wonderful that they are Christians, it was a clean show, it spread the word of Jesus, and that they raise money for different charities. Just amazing!
And, by the way Mom, Noah got your message and loved it. He thought he was pretty special to get a message from the phone! :)
________________________________

And finally, here is picture of a Christmas goody. The Hot Chocolate Mix is from Food Network's Alton Brown and the Peppermint Marshmallows is a Martha Stewart recipe. Have you ever made homemade marshmallows? This was a first for me and it really wasn't that hard. Something different anyway. I gave away these three tins to some neighbors and friends, but I kept one for my family so we could enjoy it over Christmas. I hear it is going to be cold for Christmas where we are going, so this might be just what we need.


I am also making my very favorite Christmas cookie--the Chocolate Crinkle. It is gooey and delicious and my mom would make these every year. So I thought I would make them this year. I hope to make a few more goodies but I am running out of time. Having the boys' birthdays so close to Christmas takes it out of me. Right now the house is a mess and I have a ton of laundry to wash and fold and only 2 more days to do them! Aack! _____________________________
And a family picture. This was right after Rhett gave us gifts from him. His school had a Santa shop and so he went in, picked out gifts for his family and was so excited, he just couldn't wait for Christmas for us to open them.
Do you see his face? He gets it. He gets that Christmas is about giving. He is holding the lotion and body wash with an octopus massager that he picked out for me. He sure does know me well! He gave Seth some shoe polish, which Seth loved and gave Noah a whirly toy. (Don't know the correct name for it but Noah loved it!)

And finally, a word. One word. BELIEVE. I love this word. It holds so much promise, so much hope. Believe in Christmas miracles. Believe in the spirit of goodness that happens this year. Believe that next year will be better than the last. Believe that someone loves you, and that you matter to someone. Believe that you are doing some good in your life. Believe that you are important. Believe that your dreams can come true. Believe in everyday surprises.

I do. I hope you do too. And I hope that you have a very Merry Christmas!

Love to all!

4 comments:

Cheryl Wray said...

Oh, such a wonderful, wonderful post filled with all sorts of good things!
Love the birthday pics. Looks like a great time was had by all!
I have always wanted to hear the TSO. They are just amazingly beautiful, and I can only imagine how wonderful in person . . .
The family picture is fantastic! You guys are all so cute!!
And yes, we absolutely must BELIEVE!! Believe in the spirit of this season and believe in the future! I believe!!!

Anonymous said...

Great post, Aimee. I'm glad that you saw Charlotte's Web on Noah's birthday. What a special treat for all of you. I'm glad that Noah realized that he is special because he trully is!

Mom

Krista said...

I made Chocolate Crinkles this weekend! And I already have to make another batch (we gave some away to some friends and to the crossing guard at Mallory's school). For some reason mine aren't that gooey though. Hmm.

Thanks for the Charlotte's Web review. Maybe we'll go see that the day after Christmas.

Rhett and Noah are two sweet boys. You have done a good job showing them what Christmas (and life) are all about!

H Noble said...

That was beautiful Aimee. Thanks for the pictures, the update, and the reminder of what's important. I'm crying of course, because you always make me cry, but thank you. I'll be home for Christmas too. I'll try to catch you- sounds like you'll be at Sandy's.
H